Find
Notify
Tools

Hollywood Magic -- "Sniper 2"
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted
I felt compelled to share this on one of these boards, and figured this one was probably more able to appreciate it than the military surplus crowd.

I was looking forward to "Sniper 2" on Cinemax Saturday night. Had the timer set up and everything so I wouldn't miss it.

Well, for the most part, I thought it was a LOT better than the first one. The blinky reticles were gone, they actually used MIL-DOT SCOPES (I nearly had a heart attack), and there was some gen-u-ine "sniper talk" about full value winds, et cetera. Someone behind the scenes had done their homework.

However... said homework doer gets failing marks in the "props" department.

Without giving anything away about the movie, there is a scene where Beckett (Berenger) needs a rifle... and acquires one from a cache of guns and ammo in some kind of bunker/basement. I was all tickled! He sees this Mosin-Nagant on a workbench, and his eyes light up. Having a sniper version and a "collector," I was really thrilled to see such a fine shooter (really, for a combat rifle, they are -- usually a LOT better than you'd expect for $60 or so), and he goes over to pick it up. There's a gal in the scene with him, and he says to her about how this gun is (and I'm paraphrasing now) "A German Mauser 7.92, one of the finest guns the Germans ever built"... or words to that effect.

My heart sank.

My God. It was CLEARLY a Mosin-Nagant with the shiny-metal straight-bolt receiver. "A MAUSER?!"

Then... as if that wasn't heartbreaking enough... shortly after that, we see Beckett using the SAME gun... which now has not only a scope (I could live with that), but the receiver had suddenly been blued and the bolt, besides now being blued as well, was also now a "butterknife" bolt.

I just wanted to cry. The rest of it was pretty good, but they just screwed it up royally with these glaring technical errors, EASILY fixed by him just referring to the MOSIN-NAGANT RIFLES AS BEING SOME OF THE FINEST IN THE WORLD... but NOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooo... "a Mauser."

Oh well. I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up, I guess... but really, since the whole thing was done in and around Budapest, Hungary, I'd have thought SOMEONE could have helped Beckett avoid such stupid mistakes. [Frown]

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
<MontanaMarine>
posted
I thought it was pretty weak. Technically, and dramatically. Seemed like a cheap spinoff based on "enemy at the gates" and "behind enemy lines" put together.

I was disappointed.

MM

one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
I would have to agree with MontanaMarine on this one.I could have spent a hour&half reloading.

one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
Gosh, Russ you must be a glutton for punishment I presume? I've got the first "Sniper" on video and let's just say I haven't watched it very many times! In fact I can't remember much of it - suffice to say I apparently have tried to forget it! Hard for me to believe they made a sequel?
Did they STILL show the reticle held ROCK SOLID STEADY on the target (no jiggle, heart pulse, breathing, mirage, etc.)?

If you really want to find out movies flaws go check out The Nitpicker's Site. I'm sure Sniper will have many! I've managed to post a few "Weapons" nitpicks on their site (like the correct identification of the sniper gun used by the black chick terrorist in "Under Siege II" - who WAS that black chick anyway?).

Inquiring minds [Confused] want to know.

Posts: 1946 | Location: Michigun | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Russ
Thanks mate I'll stay away from that one!Another film I hated was Wind Talkers! I thought they could have done so much with the story. When you see a bloke (Nick Cage) running down a hill firing a pistol one handed and 5 Jap's fall down dead from a distance of 100m it all gets to much!

Bakes

Posts: 8055 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MontanaMarine:
Seemed like a cheap spinoff based on "enemy at the gates" and "behind enemy lines" put together.

Don't get me started on "Enemy at the Gates." I did some work for it (no, you won't see me in the credits) and they basically trashed the movie. They ignored nearly all credible information, invented things (a love triangle???!!!) that never existed, and essentially RUINED a good story! I was so ashamed of it when it came out. Truly a POS. Plus, they virtually wasted Ed Harris... and the British accents? Incredible. A real POS.

"Behind Enemy Lines"... well, I liked the Sig SSG 205, and at least they used a real Schmidt & Bender and a "real" reticle... but it could have been so much better.

Whatever. For one reason or another, most "gun" things in movies suck.

Russ

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sonofagun:
... the black chick terrorist in "Under Siege II" - who WAS that black chick anyway?).

"Afifi." That's her only name. All she's done was US2 (as "Fatima, the female merc") and "Out for Justice" (as a go-go dancer). The only thing interesting about her was the rifle she had in US2.

one of us
posted Hide Post
One of the classic screwups in the first Sniper was when he holds his finger up, "reads" the wind, proclaims "That oughta be worth about 2 clicks left for the wind", then goes and turns the ELEVATION knob. [Roll Eyes]

Hollywood never was known for caring about accuracy in anything they do.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I know. Then there's the clicks left or right, whatever it was, in "Saving Private Ryan," executed by twisting really, really hard on the objective lens-end of the scope. [Frown] [Roll Eyes]

Russ

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russell E. Taylor:
I know. Then there's the clicks left or right, whatever it was, in "Saving Private Ryan," executed by twisting really, really hard on the objective lens-end of the scope. [Frown] [Roll Eyes]

Russ

Yeah, twist left for left wind, opposite for a right wind. Right? [Wink]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cold Bore:
Yeah, twist left for left wind, opposite for a right wind. Right? [Wink]

Yeah, that's the ticket!

And to think I've been using those silly knobs on the sides of my scopes for those kind of deflection adjustments. Silly moi. What a fool I've been!

"OH THE HUMANITY!"

Sorry. Just having an LZ-129 moment. Don't mind me.

Russ

one of us
posted Hide Post
Russ, I have a close friend who works as a weapons props man in the local film industry (and have lent them firearms for some productions, on occasion) and some of the stories he tells about the actors/writers on the sets are both hilarious and sad at the same time. And considering the anti-gun people out there all seem to get there info from the movies (remember Bruce willis' "ceramic" Glock in Die Hard?) I really wish they could be a little more accurate. Oh well, Hollyweird, I guess. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dan belisle:
... (remember Bruce willis' "ceramic" Glock in Die Hard?)

You mean the porcelain one? Yes. [Frown]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dan belisle:
And considering the... people out there all seem to get there info from the movies....

On a related note... we were relatively-low middle income, when I was growing up, so we didn't have "optics" laying around all over the place. So, as a kid, it was YEARS before I finally found out that binoculars do NOT have that "sideways number '8'" appearance when you look through them.

Reminds me of when I was in a gun store some time back, and some black "kid" (I'm 45 -- even if you're 21 or older, you're still a kid to me if you weren't on the planet when "I" was 21) walked up to the counter and wanted to see... I don't remember, some 9mm mousegun... whatever... anyway, just like most of us do, he held it up in front of him to sight down the gun and get a feel for it -- except he did it in traditional gangbanger style, sideways. I just wanted to cry. I left.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm just as glad I haven't yet rented "Eneny at the Gates". The movie poster rendered on the video box shows somebody holding a left-handed Mosin-Nagant rifle. Is the gun also left-handed in the movie, or did they just print the negative backwards?

The final hunting scene of "The Deer Hunter" has DeNiro chasing a deer over rocky terrain (and keeping up with it) alternately aiming a left- and right-handed bolt action rifle at it.

No, it is not worth renting "Deer Hunter" to see that footage. The interminable Polish Catholic Pennsylvania steel town material at the beginning will have you thoroughly depressed before anything interesting ever happens.

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've seen "The Deer Hunter" a few times, first in the theater. I don't recall the "rifle" scene... but if I ever trip across it (I get all the movie channels), I'll look for it. Yes, the first part was depressing. Actually, the whole thing was depressing.

Never noticed the "Enemy at the Gates" poster, I'll have to check it out, but the Mosin-Nagant is definitely right-handed.

Russ