THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Sako 85 Bavarian oil finished stock & Tru Oil question?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sako 85 Bavarian oil finished stock & Tru Oil question?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just picked up a Sako Bavarian which has an oil finished stock. I live in Alberta Canada and hunting season almost always means snow. I am somewhat worried that it is going to soak up water by the looks things.

Am I being paranoid?

What would be the effect, aesthetically and performance wise, if I were to rub in a light coat of Tru Oil?

I have never used the product or finished a stock for that matter, and don't want to screw up a $2000 rifle.

I sure would appreciate some advice.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Put linseed oil on by hand. One time per day in a week, one time a month in a year, once a year in a lifetime.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The True Oil would help. It will dry much more quickly than linseed oil. Well rubbed in it will not change the appearance of the factory finish. Pay particular attention to the inletting and under the butt plate/recoil pad. A coat of wax on all these same surfaces will help shed moisture. The wax can be used on the metal surfaces also.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Would need to rub it back with fine wet and dry or steel wool or both before trying to apply more finish.Can use the oil as a lubricant when doing this with good results as per the photo of my Sako 75 deluxe below. I used Organoil tung oil and followed up with several coats of stock wax. You may be better off using a good stock wax instead if you've never done a stock before. A brand new $2K rifle isn't the best place to practise but can achieve good results with care.

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not certain about the current production Sakos, but earlier Sakos with "oil" finishes actually used a matte lacquer. So don't assume that your rifle has an actual oil finish before establishing that it does.

Regardless, the advice to use wax instead of attempting to apply an over-finish is a very good one.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of xs headspace
posted Hide Post
Forget the linseed oil!! It does not stop moisture! Tru-oil, wiped on in thin coats, or Minwax antique oil finish, wiped on, then wiped off. It will leave a thin coat, and do like 4-5 coats, 24 hrs apart. Nice hard finish! PS: Don't wipe it into the checkering. Just use a toothbrush barely dipped into Tru-oil, and wipe off excess immediately in the checkering areas.

Hippie redneck geezer

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Forget Linseed oil & steel wool. BLO is not water proof. It will come out of the wood and the stock will look weathered after just one hunt in wet conditions.

Steel wool will break up into tiny bits and impact in the wood, leaving tiny shiny bits. You will have to sand it off & the oil along with it. Waste of time.

The solution is to thin TruOil with mineral Spirits 50/50 or even less and apply with finger and sand in with 320 grit going down to 600 grit. I love great wood oil finish & I have had the patience - so I am crazy enough to do 20 coats & going down to 1000 grit!! But it is worth it.

The final result is a first class oil finish IN the wood & not ON the wood. Dull glowing deep soft shine.

PM me with your email & I'll send you some articles that I have referred to & followed.

Also check my post on the Mannlicher Schoenauer restock where i used BLO for the intial staining (with Alkanet root) but I will finish with TruOil.

All the best.

PS. I am no expert & my comments are only those of a passionate crazy guy!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11253 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote