THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Can a gunsmith contour a new barrel to match an old one?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can a gunsmith contour a new barrel to match an old one?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted
I just got a screamin' deal on a beautiful barreled action. I plan to get a custom stock for it. It has a heavy barrel with a very slight taper (not sure if it is a "standard" or custom taper.) Anyway- I wouldn't want a mismatched stock when it's time to rebarrel.

FWIW- it's an FN Mauser single shot in 220 Swift. Just beautiful, and the butterknife bolt handle really classes it up. I'll have learn to shoot with my pinkie extended. rotflmo

...and if one particular gunsmith is reading this, yes, I absolutely do want to go ahead with that other FN custom project. Love those Belgian Mausers.

Posts: 7518 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Any gunsmith could measure your barrel and turn a blank to match. You can probably find a contoured blank from one of the barrel makers that would match what you have, especially if it's a straight taper.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12603 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most barrel makers can use your take off tube
to turn a new one.

I've had three turned to match.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5962 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
What do you think the term "custom" barrel means? It means any contour you want.
And Douglas can, and will, copy your barrel on their CNC lathe, and has about 25 factory contours as well as their own contours.
Look at their web site.
PM me.

Posts: 17181 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've owned custom rifles before, but they were built by someone else. Will send a PM later. Gotta get to my next jobsite.

Thanks. Lee

Posts: 7518 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Randy Selby did a great job on my Winchester Model 70 Stainless Classic 375. Shoots and handles great. He's out of Montana and is very reasonable with his pricing.

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
When I’m asked to match it, I just sen it off to Douglas. I think they charge $50 additional to copy it. Never had one come back that wasn’t spot on.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had Dennis Olson copy a small ring Brno mod. 22F for a switch barrel job and it was perfect.
Plains, Mt. 406-826-3790, give him a call.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41985 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice, guys. I'll have to try a Douglas barrel one of these days.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I.T.D. custom guns in Minerva, OH is a huge Dougas distributor. Dave will duiplicate and is much less expensive than Douglas, plus his turn around is much, much quicker - usually days versus months from Douglas proper.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1602 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've chosen a gunsmith. I asked here so other people could get the answer, however, it appears that I am the only one who did not know the answer.

Thanks again. Lee

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I owned many a "shot out" 220 Swift that miraculously became match winners after a thorough cleaning.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1602 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote