New
Find
Notify
Tools

PF EXPIREMENT
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Before I start this story be advised I am not out to start a pissin contest.
I am just reporting on a little experiment I tried.
I had heard from the “experts†that if one tried to cycle a PF upside down
That the cartridges would fall out, so I decided to try it out.
I took my Savage 112BVSS 223, Rem 722 257 Rob, Rem 722 243 AI,
Win M70 PF 257 Rob, Rem. 721 270 Win, Ruger M77 PF 7x57,
Rem M7 300 SAUM, and a friends Rem 700 375HH.
I filled the mag on each one then clamped the barrel in a well padded
vise inverted and cycled the bolt. No matter how slowly or how quickly I
cycled the bolt not one failed to chamber the cartridges. Again this was
just a game to check out a myth. I have as many or more CRF as I have
PF rifles. Whatever lightes your fire.

Lyle

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. I would remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
Barry M Goldwater.

Posts: 968 | Location: YUMA, ARIZONA | Registered: 12 August 2003Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
Any reasonable fellow can find a place in his heart for both PF and CRF, and anything in between...

one of us
posted Hide Post
You could have saved yourself a lot of time and effort by posting here first. Big Grin

CRF prevents double-feeds, whereas a PF can't. Angle has nothing to do with it.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
YUMAN

I have done the same thing with every pf I have. Even the 300WSM that I had at the time, which was built on a Rem. 721 action, defied all the laws of physics and actually feed better upside down. Smiler
But being the unlucky fool that I am I would prefer a CRF on anything that could bite or stomp me to death. This is because in my general fooling around and experimentation I have caused a PF to double feed more than once and man is that a bad feeling. Just think how you would feel if you were less than thirty yards away from a gargantuan grizzly or wrathful Cape Buffalo. Bad bawling.

Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot a lot of buffalo but never when I was upside down..thats not advised! homer

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can argue until the cows come home about the vices/virtues of either type, but the fact that many CRF's become hoplessly jammed if single-fed (not from the magazine) makes those PARTICULAR CRF's very undesireable for dicey situations. Also, the lack of ability to single-feed effectively cuts your magazine capacity by one round, which is potentially not a good thing.

A short-stroked CRF still won't shoot, it's just a little easier to fix than a short-stroked PF. If a fellow's so shaken up that he short-strokes his rifle, he's not likely to do much good with it even if it's in shooting condition.

MOST CRF's do have a little more purchase on the cartridge rim than SOME PF's, so they'll be more likely to pull a defective/sticky fired case out of the chamber, but WHAT THE F--- are you doing hunting dangerous game with questionable ammuition in the first place?

The only reason I would hesitate to hunt dangerous game with a fellow who shot a Remington 700 would be due to his poor taste thumbdown, not the dependability of his action.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote