THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Thoughts on a #3 contour barrel for a 338 win mag.....

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts on a #3 contour barrel for a 338 win mag.....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
All,

I had posed this question some time ago on another forum, and was hoping to get some input from the folks here.

I am just about to pick which contour to use, and am really torn between a #3 and a #4. Obviously the #4 will be more rigid and likely to be more accurate in general, but the weight savings of the #3 is appealing. So, as most things in life, it is a tradeoff. Does anybody have personal experience with a # 3 338 they would like to share.

Something of interest I have noted, from their literature, most Weatherby use a #3.

BB

<leo>
posted
I believe contours will vary between barrel brands so make sure of exactly what you want. The .338 is a substantial caliber so a heavier barrel may be best for you depending on how much walking you will do with it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I kind of lean toward the #4 myself. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3764 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Why not try a #4 or #5 fluted barrel. Stiff and light.

Posts: 39 | Location: Casper, WY | Registered: 18 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
I think a number 3 would be fine from most manufacturers. I bought a Dumoulin Mannlicher stocked carbine last year and it has a very light contour barrel, probably equivalent to a 2-2 1/2 in a Douglas barrel. It shoots just fine as is, probably the full length stock helps a little on weight with the short barrel, it only weighs about 8.5 lbs with the scope.

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I've done the 338 Winchester in both contours & for whats it worth I prefer the #4.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 338 (06 )based wildcat with a Douglas #3.
The number 3 is OK, but heats up fast at the range. If I do another one in 338, it will be a #4.

Posts: 449 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
I went through this myself for my .338 RUM project. Contours do, as pointed out previously, vary from maker to maker. I am most familiar with Douglas' contours. I went with a Shilen barrel but, for contour, I got one that was about a #4 contour from Douglas. I'm glad I did. If I'd have gotten a #3, I'd be subject to slightly more "whip" and limited range sessions due to barrel heating. Everything is a trade off. I'm glad I went with a #4. I'll deal with the weight.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
The Douglas #4 is what I am building my .338 WM with. For me it was due to the fact that I wanted a 26" finished tube length.

-M

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wanted to have a .338 Win Mag. put up in a relatively light configuration. I had a PAC-NOR #2 sporter 24� stainless barrel fitted to a Model 70 Classic action. This barreled action was then fitted into a �standard� Winchester factory walnut stock. I have not weighed this outfit, but I would guess that it would tip the scales at around 7 � lbs. As unbelievable as it may sound, it is a pleasant rifle for me to shoot, and I have poked some damn respectable 5-shot groups with it. CP.

Posts: 153 | Location: Wapiti Way, MT | Registered: 29 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Hmm... I'm the Lone Ranger here as I'd do a #2 Douglas cut at 22" for a muzzle diameter of around .620"... plenty for a hunting rifle to be humped over hill and dale.

BA

one of us
posted Hide Post
Since my main reason for having a 338mag. is to hunt with I went with the #3 contour from Douglas at 23ins. long. This gun is a pre 64 M70 with factory stock and steel trigger guard assemble, it weights with a 4X Lyman All American, sling, and loaded 8lbs-10ozs. To me this balance and weight are just right. When working up loads or sighting in I have 2-4 other rifles with me and switch off to keep the barrel cool. I'd go for the weight and handyness. Pete

Posts: 382 | Location: Lewiston, Idaho--USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
My .338 WM sports a #1450 profile Walther Lothar. I don't know what that corresponds to. Not exactly a featherweight but the extra mass softens recoil and is a real stabilizer when shooting offhand.
 -

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Andre' that would be about a 4 1/2 contour
A LW # 1300 = a #3, a 1400 = #4 .

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote