Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

458 win or 470 capstick
 Login/Join

posted
Hello everyone, I just found this great forum and I think you guys can help me.
I'm a student at a Gunsmith school in Colorado and have a Winchester 1917 action to use for a custom rifle. At first I planned on a 458 Win. Mag. but then another cartridge in my collection caught my eye, the 470 Capstick.
I would love to hear your thoughts on the pros and cons of the 470 vs. the 458 conversion. By the way, this action has had the sight ears removed and is still 30-06.

Thanks, David

Posts: 4 | Location: colorado | Registered: 20 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
David... The Capstick has alot of issues, namely the fact it has almost 0 body taper. How about a lott/watts/ackley ?

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Perfect for the 458 Lott. I plan to have a Reminton M-30 (same thing, essentially) rebarreled to the Lott.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input guys, I know the 458 Lott has a lot going for it and is also a possibility.

Is the problem with the Capstick that the lack of taper makes it difficult to feed properly or is there somthing else?

Posts: 4 | Location: colorado | Registered: 20 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lack of body taper can lead to sticky extraction when pressures get high. In Africa where temps and dust are your rifle's biggest problems, the tapered cases are much easier to deal with. Perhaps one of the many reasons the great 375H&H has become such a beloved cartridge.

Posts: 263 | Location: Where ever Bush sends me | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote