New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope Bases, need help.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Picked up my Left Handed Browning A Bolt Stainless in 375 HH. The gun came with a set of Leupold Quick Release Rings and Detachable Accuracy Mounts. My question is, which base goes on the rear of the rifle?
There is a short base and a long base. In order to get the scope mounted, the long base must be installed in the front of the receiver. This seems to be the only practical way of placing the base. However the mount hangs into the loading port and I'm not sure if this will impede the ejection of fired cases. If placing the bases the other way around, the scope tube is not long enough so as to give me proper eye relief. Am I doing this wrong?
Thanks,
Roger

Posts: 4428 | Location: Queen Creek , Az. | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Roger:
Picked up my Left Handed Browning A Bolt Stainless in 375 HH. The gun came with a set of Leupold Quick Release Rings and Detachable Accuracy Mounts. My question is, which base goes on the rear of the rifle?
There is a short base and a long base. In order to get the scope mounted, the long base must be installed in the front of the receiver. This seems to be the only practical way of placing the base. However the mount hangs into the loading port and I'm not sure if this will impede the ejection of fired cases. If placing the bases the other way around, the scope tube is not long enough so as to give me proper eye relief. Am I doing this wrong?
Thanks,
Roger

Try it with the overhang some actions do mount this way...or check with Leupold...some scope/base combos require an extension front or rear ring to fit properly...haven't dealt with LH actions but most mounts are the same...my old Mod70 300H/H requires extension rings to fit a full size Leupold scope I use on it....Leupold has good tech service....good luck and good shooting!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of milosmate
posted Hide Post
I had the same problem with my left handed A-bolt 270.
I mounted the large one on the rear, hangs into the port about 3/16".
This is the only way it can be mounted I think?
No problem with ejecting cases at all and shoots 3/4 moa out the box.
Good luck, love my stainless stalker to bits.

Posts: 217 | Location: Christchurch,New Zealand | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by milosmate:
I had the same problem with my left handed A-bolt 270.
I mounted the large one on the rear, hangs into the port about 3/16".
This is the only way it can be mounted I think?
No problem with ejecting cases at all and shoots 3/4 moa out the box.
Good luck, love my stainless stalker to bits.

Milosmate,
Thanks, I am waiting for a response from Leupold as to the correct mounting method. I tried your method and wasn't quite sure it would allow enough clearance for the empty to clear the port.
By the way, you don't happen to know a fellow by the name of Doug Beard from the North Island do you? I used to chat with him quite a bit on the Ham Radio. Havn't heard him on the bands for many years.
Anyway, fellows thanks for the responses to my thread.
Roger

Posts: 4428 | Location: Queen Creek , Az. | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote