New
Find
Notify
Tools

B-square D&T jig question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Ive been looking at the B square and wheeler D/T jigs.

How do you set them up for diffrent length actions and hole spaceing? For certain length actions do have to loosen the jig after drilling the front holes and slide the jig forward or back to do the rear bridge?

What about a mauser rear? Are the jig bushings .5" apart? What do you do for a 3/8" rear bridge hole spaceing for a luepold unaltered rear base? Move the jig for each hole?

Or....? Do you good gunsmiths even use these jigs?

After haveing a gunsmith screw up(ruin) a reciever several years ago and seeing many botched D/T jobs. Id like to hear how to D/T for bases so the holes are exactly positioned right and TDC.

Rick

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rick-

I have no idea why some posts go unanswered. There are certainly many better qualified than I to answer your question, but here goes....

A mill is infinitely superior to using a jig and drill press or drill motor.

Most recently, we've been using a Wheeler Engineering Mauser rail milling fixture to hold the receiver in the mill vise.

The line of the bore and center can then be indicated, and the holes drilled.

The mill has the additional advantage of allowing one to start the tap in exactly the position the bit was when the hole was drilled. Therefore perfect alignment.

flaco

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i'll try to explain this as clear as i can but first a milling machine is the best drill press. the 2nd in my opinion is the forester jig. i never used the wheeler but have used the b square. it is for drilling a specific receiver for a specific mount. it actually locates the top template for drilling the holes by locationg against the flat on the bottom of the action with a round bar in the bolt ways. if i remember right it would drill a mauser for the two piece weaver bases or for the one piece redfield base.

Posts: 981 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I've drilled several mauser actions using the wheeler jig, and it has worked fine, though certainly I'd gladly trade it for a B-port clap

Yes you can slide the action in the jig to compensate for various length actions. You can also cut off the front of the rod that runs through the action to allow d/t'ing actions that have barrels fit.

I haven't measured the rear hole spacing as it works fine with weaver bases. If you have 3/8" spaced bases you would have to adjust the jig accordingly.

I prefer using an 1/8" round carbide burr run through an appropriate bushing to cut the surface hardness off the reciever before drilling. I've also purchased TIN coated drills and additional taps from brownells.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
I have a Forster jig and would buy it again if need be. It is infinately adjustable and has standard spacing in the drill jigs for all bases plus you accurately locate a hole anywhere you want.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote