THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    JC Higgins older Model 50 with the .860 rear bridge hole spacing

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

JC Higgins older Model 50 with the .860 rear bridge hole spacing
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone know if the bases that came on the above-mentioned rifle will fit Talley rings - they look a little like Talley bases, but were actually made for Sears by FN I am told.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1587 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank,

Take a dial caliper and measure the distance across the inside of the dovetail and let me know so I can compare it to a genuine set of Talley bases.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim: will do ....... I'm away from home for a couple days, but when I get home, I'll let you know ..... Thanks.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE

Posts: 1587 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Beller:
Does anyone know if the bases that came on the above-mentioned rifle will fit Talley rings - they look a little like Talley bases, but were actually made for Sears by FN I am told.

No they will not. The FN bases are too wide.

Tally is the only current manufacturer who produces bases for the Higgins with the .860 hole spacing. But then you have to toss those low FN bases and replace them with the overly tall Talleys.

I have a set of the .860 FN bases and have thought of having them cut to fit Talley rings. The only drawback is the single recoil shoulder(not really a problem on a 270 or 30-06).

If you decide to do something like this I would be interested in having mine done also. The price for such a job would be more fair if a gunsmith was doing two sets, IWT.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jason, you are correct; I found a set of Talley rings & saw that they were more narrow than the Sears/FN bases.
Jim: Is reshaping the FN bases as Jason suggests something you could do, & would it be cost effective, too expensive ?

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I look forward to Jim's reply as I have been looking for an excuse to do business with him for a long time.

At +- $20 for the Talleys I am sure just buying there bases would be cheaper, but then you lose the "lowness" of the FNs.

BTW, Mr. Kobe is an expert on custom rear bases for the .860 spaced Higgins'. I have a really nice Redfield style base he built.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
its really a simple task I'm sure jim will do it for less than $5 Big Grin

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I understand this, the existing bases are too wide to accept the Talley rings, correct?

If so, it would be a simple matter to re-cut the dovetail to the Talley dimension. I would also suggest doing the bases while attached to the action to eliminate any alignment problem.

With that in mind, it might be more that $5

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim: What you described is what needs to be done. Thanks for your answer; if I decide to go that route, I'll send you the rifle with a few sets of bases.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE