Find
Notify
Tools

Bring tears to your eyes
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
Pretty little stock 100% coverage all types of grain dang right pretty.

Then this. about .05" deep. The blank was marginally thick enough for the pattern. Actually had to rotate it to get wood for the cheek piece. Will still be gorgeous with a repair but such a shame.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No tears here; that is a nice piece; everyone needs to remember that wood is/was a living, natural product and as such, might not be perfect in every way. That does not detract from it's beauty nor aesthetic value.
If someone wants perfection, then use an injection molded plastic stock; they are always perfect.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
Put water or alcohol on it before you snap a picture. BUT NOT DRINKING ALCOHOL ! Don't waste whiskey. That's a hanging offense in some states and provinces. LOL

coffee

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Heck I'm working with no coffee trying to operate my cell. Were are the grandkids when you need them.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
leave it as is and make it into a blaser - nobody will notice another defect

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Here you go Speer just for you. Wink Now that I've had my coffee and mind is actually hitting on at least 3 of 8 cylinders.

The stock is still on the duplicator and needs to have the final pass. Top along the action and barrel have not been cut. It is 14" of wood behind the trigger so it will be shortened. There is nice grain at the butt it just happens to be more end grain showing and soaked up the alcohol. Relax Speer not the drinking kind.

Perfect flow through the grip and the rest of the front looks the same. As I said the flaw is around .05" deep. I don't think it will sand off. So I think there will be at least some repair. Going to make a fantastic looking rifle.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
Veddy purdy ! ! ! !

Is that a graft? Or just a little heavier stain or funny flash angle making the back dark?

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is that a graft?

I don't "think" so. Sure didn't show as a graft before I cut it. On the left side without the alcohol you can trace the grain. Even on the right side you can trace the grain on each side of the flaw it just bends around the flaw. Looks to me that it is simply a limb or root running across the grain. The butt appears to have more end grain allowing it to suck up more alcohol. The camera was pretty much centered over the grip area.

When I got it the blank had a coat of sealer on it. The butt didn't show as a different color. Feathering vs fiddle?? Need someone with more expertise than me.

Well I was just downstairs empting my dust collector bottom bag was full. By accident hit the upper bag and had about a gallon of brown talcum fine walnut dust drop on my feet and fill the air. shocker Put it in the crack dry and it all but disappeared. Smiler So saved a quart for the owner. So should be fine.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
No tears here; that is a nice piece; everyone needs to remember that wood is/was a living, natural product and as such, might not be perfect in every way. That does not detract from it's beauty nor aesthetic value.
If someone wants perfection, then use an injection molded plastic stock; they are always perfect.

dpcd you are spot on.

Posts: 640 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stock defect is repairable. Save any wood that been trimmed and some sawdust for the repair. I've done far worst and the defect repair looked like it was "natural". Ron

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That only brings a tear to my eye because it isn't my stock. Damn nice wood. As noted, wood is natural, and can have flaws. We just polish it up to show it off.

Love to see it after it is touched up and finished.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by farbedo:
That only brings a tear to my eye because it isn't my stock. Damn nice wood. As noted, wood is natural, and can have flaws. We just polish it up to show it off.

Jeremy

Same sentiments here! That's really beautiful Walnut.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It was a bark inclusion. I am sure it will disappear after Ram gets done with it.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
The long slab on the left has 5 bullet holes in it, I think they are 22's.

Leave them in for nostalgia or dig the lead out?

Western Oregon Walnut from the Salem area.

PS that blank of ramrod's sure has nice figure!

Posts: 1464 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
PS that blank of ramrod's sure has nice figure!

Yep about as perfect for a layout that I have seen. I wish it was mine. I just get to cut it. It belongs to a member here.

As to the bullet holes they would make great campfire conversation. Wink

So as the blank sits I'll leave it mounted while I take the wife on vacation next week. Then finish the outside and inlet it. "IF" the flaw is only .05" deep and they pattern is cut .04" proud then it MIGHT sand out. If not I have the cut off pieces, quart of router chips from the blank and a quart of TALCUM FINE walnut dust. The owner sayd he has 2 more similar.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a stock where the blank looked great, all figured but while being roughed out it has a large bark inclusion. Before starting to sand we sandblasted all the bark out and filled with a thin epoxy for tabletop. The grain can be seen through the clear epoxy.
I think a stock blank is like a blind date, if you walk away because of a defect you may be missing the best thing ever.

Mark

Posts: 1244 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I've been married to my blind date for 15 yrs. dancing

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by farbedo:

Jeremy
Agree completely!

Posts: 1743 | Registered: 25 February 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Heck, I'd take that stock in a heartbeat.

As to the 22 bullets, leave them in as long as it is Paul's duplicator working on them. Smiler Smiler

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Ramrod, be sure and post pics after repairs.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ramrod, be sure and post pics after repairs

Won't be me. I'll stress with the member that he share the results.

Thanks Larrys Wink A 22 lead bullet doesn't bother me very much. The surprise piece of steel or rock and gotten my attention shocker and chipped a carbide bit.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A buddy and I once went through a large stack of Tessier Walnut. I do not know where in France it was cut but I was amazed at how many blanks contained bullet scars, maybe one in 10 or 15. We even found a couple of embedded bullets. We are not talking .22's, this was serious stuff probably from WW1.

Posts: 763 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Playing with the final cut and put some walnut dust in the void with enough glue to hold it. The darn butt is very porous and will need to filled well. When the alcohol first hits it the difference isn't that strong. Put soaks in too quick for me to get a good picture. The repair will match other natural grain in the area.

Waiting now to see if he wants me to cut it a touch thinner.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
If the wood is too thin, then omit the cheek piece would be my approach, however I lean towards short forends, no cheek piece, steel butt plates, African styly (or English) stocks. Another way to skin a cat. A cheekpiece is just a mostly useless addition to a stock IMO, but I use them a lot with a shadow line because they sell...They serve no purpose IMO and I don't have them on most of my personal rifles.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42152 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote