New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger Twist Rate Change -- What year?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Do any of you sage folks know the year when Ruger changed the twist rate from 1-9.5" to
1-8" in the No. 1 7x57. No luck on a google search. I just see references to new and old, no dates. Mine was made in 1987 and I am hoping to shoot some 175 grainers. I got a good deal on some old Hornady round nosers. Thanks.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If Ruger won't tell you, call Rody's Gun Shop in Newport (Guild), NH. There is very little related to Ruger long guns that the guys at Rody's don't know. Their telephone # is 603-863-3356 and I think that they are open in the evening on weekdays and all day Saturday.

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want to know whether or not your rifle has the faster twist, why not just measure it?

Posts: 92 | Location: follow the yellow brick road | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well he obviously doesn't know how.
I'd put a firm patch on a jag and rod and push it thru to near the muzzle.
Somewhere where I can get a point in/on the action I'd make a mark showing on the rod that shows "up".

Pull the rod out until the same mark shows back to "up" again. Make another mark and measure between the two. If it measures 8" that's it.
If it's 9.5" Bob's ya Uncle.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote