Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 700 short action receiver
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted
Does anybody know if it is possible to buy just a Remington 700 short action receiver ONLY?

I know this is a strange question but i have a complete PTG bolt assembly including the firing pin and shroud. I have a new Timney trigger and can pick up the bottom metal, follower and spring from Numeric Gun Parts.

Cheer's,

Michael.

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try PTG and see if they will sell only their receiver to you. They now manufacture Rem clone actions.

Otherwise, you'll probably have to find one on the used market. Bolts get lost occasionally, I have picked up three rifle over the years with no bolt; two Savages and one Remington.

On one Savage the ex-wife tossed all of the bolts on the guy's rifles into the garbage. He found some of them, but not all.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes try PTG, but I think they are not manufacturing clones, but using factory Rem receivers, blueprinting the receiver and fitting a PTG bolt and firing pin assembly.
They also include a factory trigger in their packages.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Your best bet is to buy a used, or even new discount store rifle and go from there; cheaper than buying a plain action. Then you can sell the bolt, stock, and barrel, for most of what you paid in the first place.

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unless this has changed, Brownell's sell blued 700 actions.

Cheers.
tu2

Posts: 683 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
G'Day Fella's,

Michael, www.brownells.com have NEW Rem 700 Long and Short action in Blued and Stainless available for around $500.00+ USD! This includes the Action, Bolt and Trigger.

Hope that helps

Doh!
Homer

Lick the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity Just Once and You Will Suck For Life!

Posts: 459 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 21 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes and you can buy complete rifles for $400 or less. Which is why I never buy just actions.

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input guys :-)

I'm going to buy a brand new M700 and then sell off the parts I don't require. Its more expensive to buy just an action as I've discovered.

I had a look at Brownells, but there is no magazine components, these are extra and expensive! So, really no point.

Regards,

Michael.

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted Hide Post
Got my M700. It was an SPS in .270 WSM and paid $1000 NZD. I've just sold the stock it came with (Bell & Carlson) and the factory bolt (I have a PTG fluted replacement) for a total sum of $500.00 so I guess you could say the barreled action has only cost me $500.00.