New
Find
Notify
Tools

Found a pre 64 featherwight
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Found a pre 64 featherwieght, 1953 serial 308 cal. Someone sold it to a local gun store. Not takin care of, just grimmy needs cleaning good. The shop help said the owner wont let them clean used guns up, just sell them.

$299 minus 15% off plus ffl $50. about $315 out the door.

It has a worn grove in the stock butt from rubbin a horse scaboard maybe, varnish flakin off checkering good. Clean bolt face, bore was very dirty , had them run a patch through, looks like some rust maybe in the middle of the barrel.
Complete all original '53 feather weight, floorplate still 95% blue , Has old bueler bases and rings. Bushnel scope looks like a throw away.
$315 out the door what doya think?

They also had 3 argintine mausers Berlin made.$200 each

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
and you haven't bought it yet, the action is worth 450.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just stopped in to see what people brought in so they can pay their Fed income tax.

Im gonna head back in the morning with some coin . Im going to see how low in price they will go for the pre 64 and throw in one of them old junk German made argintine mausers .

The 3 1909 german argintines were complete,original,long rifles all the actions looked good , in white ,
clean bolt faces.

What are those argintine actions worth?

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
<Guest>
posted
Well, there are those on here who claim they can get 09s for $100 or so, but I have never been able to find them. Most complete 09s on auction arms go for somewhere inthe neighborhood of $300. If you can get them for $200 each and they are in good shape you might be able to sell a couple of them to pay for one, which is what I would do.

And I agree with Jimmy. What are you waiting for on that Pre-64.

Blue

one of us
posted Hide Post
That is a hell of a deal, I would buy it w/o hesitation! You will very likely find that it will still shoot very well, after a good scrubbing, even with a slightly pitted bore. I have cleaned up several "wrecks" with JB bore-paste and have been gratified by the results.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

$299 minus 15% off plus ffl $50. about $315 out the door.

$299 is a killer deal! And even better with an extra 15% off! But what irks me is the guy hitting you for an extra "FFL fee" of $50! That's high for a third-party transfer, it's way out of line for a direct purchase. He's already making money on the rifle sale (not much at that price, but who knows what he has in it...). On any purchase I've ever seen, the FFL fee is just "included" or "absorbed" with the profit mark-up in the purchase price. If anything is tacked on, it's never anywhere near $50.

Regardless though, I would have bought that rifle on the spot.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dealers rip widows off. I have heard many stories of how they make a call and want the guns out of the house.

Prices of a small fraction of the value are common.

That's the way it is. It might be a good idea to leave some sort of an will that covers what to do.

A 1953 Featherweight is about as good as it gets.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
<Guest>
posted
Savage

I don't know that a will would do the trick in most instances. Most people leave all of their property to their spouses and children, and courts frown on restrictive provisions in wills that restrict a beneficiary in how they want to dispose of property that they have inhereted.
If a person owns fine equipment, including fine guns, cameras, jewelry, etc., one should make sure and educate those who would inheret that property as to the true value of the property so that when it passes either by probate or by intestate succession (or by trust) the beneficiary knows what the value is of what they have received.

Have you watched Antiques Roadshow lately. Every once in awhile somebody will bring in something that they purchased at a yard sale that will end up being worth a lot of money. Just a week ago there was a lady who purchased a vase at a garage sale for $20 and the vase ended up being made by some important maker and was worth $15,000.00.

So again, make sure you have educated those around you as to the true value of your outdoor equipment so that should something happen to you its worth will be realized in the event that it will be sold!!!!!!!

Blue

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the thoughtful reply Blue. Perhaps the topic of wills deserves it's own thread!

Maybe someone will start it up later?

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All you'd need to do would be to leave a suggested retail list, so your spouse would have some idea of the worth. Then if she's worth even half her salt, she'll think twice before just dumoing them on someone for half their worth. Even widows need money.

-I want to know how this pre-64 purchase goes, and how it shoots.
Keep us informed, will ya?

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Welp.... I scored on the pre64 featherwieght . Went back this morning. $303 out the door. $245 plus tax transfer fees .The guns actually not been shot that much . Its just dirty, should clean up nice.

I love being a tight wad and finding

deals

The aluminum floor plate still has 95% blue, no scrathes or nicks in any metal, stock varnish is flaking, one rub mark in the butt of the stock ( from a horse scabord or rubbing on a back window of a truck gun rack) checkering is Ok , no scrach marks. little suface rust on small areas on the barrel , not bad though.

Tryed to get them to throw in a 1909 argintine for $100 and they would not go for it ,$219. They all had primer pitting on the bolt faces so I passed.

<Guest>
posted
what did you do about those 1909 argentines?

Blue