Notify
Tools

Setting Up The Northstar Gunstock Duplicator
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted
Gone With The Wind!

My Southern Heritage and addiction to Baby Back Pork Ribs resulted in a T.O.S. violation and my deleting the post contents.

Mnnn they sure tasted good! Especially "Dem Beans". Time for another batch!

Posts: 1467 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Not a "good enough stock maker"? You are too modest. I can see that you are good even if you don't admit it.

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Woodhunter

I have not cut a stock with cast off so if I ask a dumb question please excuse.
Do you move your pattern stock to cut either the
butt or action area and forend to get the cast off?

I am visualizing a straight line down the stock
forend to the rear of the action and then a slight bend to the center of the butt. 3/8"
off center. Or does the pattern stock have the 3/8" cast off? Am I confused? Thanks Kenny

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Or, duplicate a pattern or use an existing stock, then make a saw cut through the grip just behind the tang on the cheek piece side, leaving a small "hinge" area of wood. Bend the stock in the cast off direction to obtain the cast off. Then epoxy a wedge in the opened saw cut. Blend the area by hand.

First off "Amateur my butt!!!"

I have several stocks I have cut, hinged and bent several directions. If it is going to be cut more than once make a new pattern.

Yep I stink the house up with bondo. I get the voice from upstairs saying. Open the window and hit the fan. Big Grin

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bondo mixing in the house!!! Brave man you are for sure

I was slow learner. Roll Eyes Took me more than once. It did finally sink it that things stayed a lot calmer if I did the bond outside. Big Grin

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey Ramrod, what are you using for carving chisels?

I have a set of about 30 "Buck" I believe. They were my granddad's. He was a pattern maker around WWI. He went over the various uses by the hour. Sure wish I had listened better. Roll Eyes Darn IN or OUT throws me every time. Roll Eyes

I did use your kits company and found a couple stones I've needed.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
would you have a few photos to show of the quality of inletting that machine provides for you.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dastra makes some dandy carving tools. Their "intermediate" size is just right for inletting and other stock making chores. Made in Germany by the same family for a long time. You can't ever have enough good stock making tools.

Posts: 714 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote