New
Find
Notify
Tools

J.K. Clower
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone heard of this gunsmith and can you reccomend his work?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry. It's J.K. Cloward.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim Cloward is one of the most respected gunsmiths in the nation when it comes to building competitive bolt action rifles for NRA Highpower and Long Range.

I would assume that his skills would make you a pretty decent hunting rifle as well.

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
I know a couple of Washington folks who have had him build Africa rifles (.416 Rem and .458 Win). Both spoke well of his work, and both used their rifles on Cape buff (among other animals).

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
You may be asking because you saw this rifle on the Champlin Arms site, but in case you have not seen it I thought I would post the link.

I have a Cloward .338-06 that I have yet to use much, but from my perspective it is well put together.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
He's a friend of mine. I have two of his rifles, a 308 and a 35 Whelen, and both are so accurate with cheap factory ammo that I've quit trying to load for them. Someday I'll find someone who can really shoot off of a bench and maybe I'll see what they can really do. Aside from that, he's worked on several other rifles for me over the last 15 or so years, and he consistently talks me out of hair-brained ideas and steers me toward something that just does the job without any fanfare.

As HP Shooter noted, he casts a pretty long shadow on the line at any long range match, having won either the Wimbledon or Leech Cups at Camp Perry with a rifle he made himself. He's also hunted North America and Africa extensively, and he designed the stock that Borden sells under the name Rimrock.

He knows what he's about.

Can I answer any specific questions for you?

Okie John

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard

one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
I know a guy who has a 35 Whelen AI Improved built by Mr. Clowards and only want's 600.00 for it he doesn't know what he has. Yes it is a Jim Clowards rifle he has called him and asked him about it. The story behind the rifle is he built it for a guy who hunted in alaska.
And it is a very nice rifle, but he has know idea what he has.
and I'm going from what he told me
John

Handmade paracord rifle slings: paracordcraftsbypatricia@gmail.com

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
I have an "across the course" match rifle built by Jim Cloward on a 1903 action. The work is incredible and the rifle shoots amazingly small groups. Jim really knows how to build them.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have contact information?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Clowards shop is in the Puget Sound region in one of the suburbs of Seattle, Washington. His shops were in Seattle for many many years - he just got tired of the burglaries and cretins coming into his shops! He moved to the burbs and I forget which one. Bothell, Washington I think. I will try a computer search and add info if any is found for Jim.
He is also a masterful custom stock maker and his stocks are works of art! He is the rare Riflesmith that is extremely gifted in both wood working skills and metal work. In addition he is (or was) an extremely talented Rifle competitor having competed many times at Camp Perry etc. I believe he won the Wimbledon cup some time back (1990ish?). He is truly an exceptional individual!
One of my Rifles that he made for me is a Varminter/Antelope getter in caliber 240 Weatherby Magnum!
It is built on a pre-64 Winchester Model 70 action! This Rifle is beautiful and shoots extremely well with its 27 1/2" Hart barrel.
Jim is wonderfully competent and conscientious!
More later
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mufasa:
Does anyone have contact information?

I have a number that I got from okie john that I can PM to you.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Clowards Gun Shop
13822 Meridian St.
Lake Stevens, Washington

Phone: 1-425-334-3006

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote