New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger 77
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Picked up a short action Ruger 77 with tang safety that was being rebarreled to 284 at an auction. There is no follower in this rifle so will the follower that fit the 308 work for the 284 ? or was there a special follower for the 284? Or is there an aftermarket bottom metal and detachable magazine that will work with the 284 ? Thanks for any help

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nobody ?

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Just use the 308 follower. No one makes a detach mag for those. Often they aren't as critical as some think; sometimes they are.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snowman- I was recently looking for 77 parts, and saw followers for a 284 on Numrich's site. Don't remember if it was a long or a short action, but it was probsbly a short.

Good luck.

jmbn
Old and in the way

Posts: 280 | Location: Lakeview OR | Registered: 02 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Short.
I remember when they came out, flat bolts; I thought it was a great round but I bought a 308; took it to the M60 range and shot lots of tracers through it.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jerrymontgomery:
Snowman- I was recently looking for 77 parts, and saw followers for a 284 on Numrich's site. Don't remember if it was a long or a short action, but it was probsbly a short.

Good luck.

Jerry Thanks for the reply That follower is listed for the 7.62x39 and 284. I think that is a misprint but it doesnt really matter because they are out of stock

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would try the .308 follower, either make it work or order a .284 follower. Ive had a number of both and I only recall a 99 that I had that was 284 from a 308 and Im almost positive I used a 308 rotor in it, don't recall modifying it but its been some time back like 30 years..I bought a damaged 308 in a 99Fwith a gouge in the chamber and saved it with a 284 case that cleaned the chamber. Built a 284 on a Mauser adn seems I used the std follower, but thats been years ago..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Short.
I remember when they came out, flat bolts; I thought it was a great round but I bought a 308; took it to the M60 range and shot lots of tracers through it.

My son has a Ruger M77 that my dad bought new. Long action Flat Bolt, .284 Win

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote