New
Find
Notify
Tools

Adding weight to stock
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I used to think that many of the posters on this forum were making a bit too much of the fact that they thought that 8 to 9 lb rifles were easier to shoot accurately, especially when shooting offhand. Most of my rifles are things like the Model 700 Mountain Rifle or Model 7's and the like. I have a Steyr Pro-Hunter in 376 Steyr that weighs about 8 1/2 lbs loaded and with scope which I noticed is much easier to control in the offhand position than my other guns. I thought about reaming out some space in the stocks of the light rifles and epoxying lead strips into them, not too much, just about 1 to 1 1/2 lbs making them slightly muzzle heavy. I'm open to suggestions and advice. Thanks in advance.

Posts: 98 | Location: Eagle, Idaho | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Super 88:
I used to think that many of the posters on this forum were making a bit too much of the fact that they thought that 8 to 9 lb rifles were easier to shoot accurately, especially when shooting offhand. Most of my rifles are things like the Model 700 Mountain Rifle or Model 7's and the like. I have a Steyr Pro-Hunter in 376 Steyr that weighs about 8 1/2 lbs loaded and with scope which I noticed is much easier to control in the offhand position than my other guns. I thought about reaming out some space in the stocks of the light rifles and epoxying lead strips into them, not too much, just about 1 to 1 1/2 lbs making them slightly muzzle heavy. I'm open to suggestions and advice. Thanks in advance.

I'm a big proponent of a little more weight in rifles. They are easier to shoot well and more comfortable as well (which also adds to your accuracy Smiler)
I drill the stock and mill a slot under the barrel and pour in a mix of epoxy & #9 birdshot. You can get an idea of the weight added by measuring the shot first. On wood stocks, this also adds stability to the forend. I like to add some in the forend for better holding offhand (balance). You can lay in the shot/epoxy mixture and when it's started to set up, go ahead & glass bed the barrel full contact.

"You can lead a horticulture, ... but you can't make 'er think" Florida Gardener

Posts: 808 | Location: N. FL | Registered: 21 September 2003Reply With Quote