New
Find
Notify
Tools

English Express Rifle?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
On a classic English Express Rifle, in .375 H&H, 404J or .416 Rigby.

What was the the most common barrel length? 25" or 26"?

The short forarm, barrel band, 4" or 5" quarter rib, banded front style guns.

I think they usually had long thin barrels but wasnt sure of the actual lenth.
Allen

It's a Mauser thing, you wouldn't understand.

Posts: 656 | Location: North of Prescott AZ | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to "British Gun Pub" they will have your info.
GOOD luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I checked British Gun Pub, but didn't find any info on classic Express type rifles.

Are there any collecter assiotionsout there?

Posts: 656 | Location: North of Prescott AZ | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with you about British Gun Pub, couldn't find much about sporting rifles. You might try and talk to a user here on the forum, ID is Alf...he has posted some great pics of classic english rifles. He might be able to help you.

Posts: 1669 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
allen.
Rigbys barrel lenght on most of there rifles was no more than 24-25 depending on how it was measured they also made a 21 inch lightweight for there 7x57
these rifles had very short forends without horn tips ,1 standing 2 folding sights always
Westley Richards ,used 24-28 inch barrels many 425,s were built with 28,s i had a 318. with a 28 they also have very short forends with horn tips most westleys had 1 standing 3-4 folding leaves westleys patented fold over sight

Jefferies were styled closer to rigby in all respects some had long 1/4 ribs

holland had there typical flip over front sight and are mostly seen with 1 standing and 2 leaves with there trademark 1/4 rib of short lenght

all barreling seems to be that they would not give you any more weight than what was needed unlike some griffin&howes that seem to have medium heavy barrels also the british used step tapering if you have speeds book than you see what i mean if not get the book it is worth it

........paul

Posts: 294 | Location: MASSACHUSETTS | Registered: 26 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Strange I checked British Gun Pub, nobody asked about Express rifles??. You guys must be mind readers.
Good Luck!
p.s. Ask the question, wait for an answer.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check this group.

I have old Rigby catalogues from the 1930s in India and they list the 416 with a 26" barrel. Westley Richards preferred longer barrels and they offered their 425 and 318 in upto 28 inch barrels both on their bolt rifles as well as on their doubles. Paul JA's post is a wealth of information.

You could check out Christopher Austyn's books for more information as well. They are a fine addition to any library.

Best wishes and do post pictures of the sporter that you're planning on building.

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
allen, if you want to look at british styling go to cabelas gun library and scroll down to J .L. WILKINS there are 2 big bore bolt rifles there built on standard lenght mauser actions [a real english trick]notice the cut into the magazine port into the front ring on the right side ,these guns have a classic english look.paul

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for you very helpful in put and information.

If anyone knows of any more links or pictures ect. plesase send them.

And thanks so much. I hate to be always be asking questions.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have decided not to go with the CZ.

I have been reading the old posts about the .404 Jeffery. And I got Jefferyitus REAL bad.

So heres what we're doing.
Spoke to Dennis Olson. He is going to do 2 rifles set up basicly the same.

Lothor Walther barrel with the H&H step contour barrel #5125. The one with the strait shank, step and then taper with short Quarter rib.With 26" length
Using 2 VZ 24 actions

Also spoke to Ted Blackburn today he is making a run of mauser bottom metal made for the .404 Jeffery.! Will be ready to ship in about 3 weeks.

Mine will be .404 Jeffery and my wife's in 9.3x62.

The 9.3 muzzle die. will be reduced a litte fromthe .650 on the .404J to about .600 yet to be finalized.
Want to have the length but the front kept light, rest of the contour will be the same. Using Ed LaPour's saftey.

I'm exicited!

Allen

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ask the questions this is my favorite subject as far as sites go which are you looking at ,i usually haunt a few different ones daily

westleys
cabelas
bass pro
hallowell
g&h
guns america
nitro express .com
african hunter magazine has many links
i cant tell you how many books and magazines i have

18 years ago after collecting military rifles for years i read bolt action rifles by haas the picture of the gibbs in that book triggered something ,the next week i walked into new england arms in kittery point, maine one of the finest gun shops in the country and asked questions, not long after that was my first british rifle ,a cased 7x57 rigby 18 years later i now can answer questions so dont be afraid to ask........paul

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PAUL J.A.:
allen.
Jefferies were styled closer to rigby in all respects some had long 1/4 ribs

holland had there typical flip over front sight and are mostly seen with 1 standing and 2 leaves with there trademark 1/4 rib of short lenght

all barreling seems to be that they would not give you any more weight than what was needed unlike some griffin&howes that seem to have medium heavy barrels also the british used step tapering if you have speeds book than you see what i mean if not get the book it is worth it

........paul

Of course, it in part may depend on whether one's stalking rifles were bespoken rifles or off-the-rack.

My Jefferys didn't look much like my Rigbys. For one thing, all of my bolt action Jefferys, including in .404 chambering, had 26-28" barrels. Second, my Jefferys all had a much heavier barrel reinforce area and a much less abrupt taper than my Rigbys...even my .280 Jeffreys.

To my eyes, the British rifles which looked most like modern U.S.production in terms of barrel length and profile were my Hollands. For instance, I had a nice matched pair of .275 H&H with 24" barrels which would have passed for High Standards or J.C. Higgins on FN Mauser actions at a casual glance. Up close, of course, the "class" differences were distinctly noticeable. My Hollands also had a particularly Holland signature in the barrel bands, where the were any. That is, the barrel bands did not completely encircle the barrel but went about 80% of the way around. None of my Hollands had what I would have called 1/4 ribs.

As a very general rule, I suspect one might get away with saying that the average true stalking rifles (if there is any such thing) probably had barrels somewhat longer (say, about 1-1/2 to 2"longer) and somewhat lighter profile than most modern American production rifles in similar bore diameters. And they almost always had somewhat shorter forends...sometimes markedly so. The Gibbs M/S-actioned stalkers seemed particularly short forend-ed. (Is that a term?) But, that description of mine suffers from all the weaknesses of any generalization which covers more than one maker.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JAG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PAUL J.A.:
allen, if you want to look at british styling go to cabelas gun library and scroll down to J .L. WILKINS there are 2 big bore bolt rifles there built on standard lenght mauser actions [a real english trick]notice the cut into the magazine port into the front ring on the right side ,these guns have a classic english look.paul

Those are some beautiful rifles!

JAG

Posts: 510 | Location: Hood River, OR | Registered: 08 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
alberta canuck, you are right in stating about the jeffery that they are different what i guess i meant was that there is a closer resemblence to rigbys than westleys or hollands ive seen hollands that i like an some that i would not buy,most of the pre war styling is nice on all the british companies
jefferies did use a horn tip on most of its guns too,i also have 2 of the gibbs m/s actioned rifles on 1899,s in 6.5x53r both have 26 inch barrels with an abrupt taper ...paul