New
Find
Notify
Tools

remington ks barrel
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have aremington ks in 7 rm, and although remington claims barrel length to be 24, this one has trouble to reach 23 in.

Does anyone now if these barrels are made by remington or by other manufacturers? someone told me once remington was buying them from lilja or shilen for the custom shop, but I think that would be rather strange.

besides, has anyone changed the original barrel in a ks and fitted a longer match grade one? What are the results?
Thanks.

Thanks.

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I`ve never heard of Remington useing anything but their own barrels. I believe Winchester and Wheatherby at one time used after market barrels on their custom shop rifles.
I had a Rem M700 that came with a chipped crown from the factory that was fixed by taking .5" off the muzzle and recrowning, could this a possiblity with yours? Remember too that barrels are measured from the bolt face to the muzzle and you have ~1" of barrel screwed in the reciever ring.
You can get very good results from a rebarrel on your action. The barrel, stock bedding, chamber quality, action trueness, shooters ability, ammo will all have a effect on the final results so how much is hard to guess.

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SempreElk
posted Hide Post
I have a 7 rm ks and the barrel is 23" also..they are measuring end to end of the barrel obviously. They make the barrels in house and supposedly use their better barrels and lap them. The barrels are also threaded as opposed to having the threads roll engraved. I have had 3 of these things one in 280 and the other 2 7 rems and everyone has been a very good shooter..worst of the lot shot 1 1/2 with factory ammo.

Posts: 1779 | Location: Southeast | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i have 3-1 280 with 24", 1 30'06 with 24 and 1 30'06 with 22.5"... remington makes their own barrels

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the answers.

as for accuracy, this rifle seems to like lighter bullets 140/150 better than the heavier ones. maybe because of twist ( 9 1/4 according to remington).