New
Find
Notify
Tools

John Ricks Update
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well, things are calming down a bit. Been in a state of flux for 4 weeks or so, stayed away from the shop, took a couple of "get away" trips to visit friends. So you gents now know why I am behind in the shop work!!!

Details: She owns a 6 acre farm, I have a shop on the property. I own the shop and all equipment/tooling etc. Things have sort of been going downhill for a couple of years, it is apparent we are not totally suited for each other. Not married, just a long standing relationship. We have agreed to go our own ways, I am looking to relocate and build or rent a new shop. Have an agreement worked so I can complete all current in work rifles and have until July 1, 2003, to be out of the present shop with all the equipment.

The next 6-8 weeks or so will be used for completing rifles and some amount of travel to find a new area. I will be in Central Oregon (Bend Area) on 20 and 21 Dec. looking things over. Also will take a look in Central Washington (Wenatchee area) in a month or so.

Anyone need a apprentice/helper/mechanic/machinist? I come fully equipped with tools and machinery. I like the post on the other thread about "Going to Africa for 3 Months" to get over a separation. What a deal!!!

Current email below is still OK, I have a new computer, just got it set up yesterday.

Relationships are tough when things go sour, I also have been there/done that (divorced in 1994. Just did not pay enough attention when the current relationship started to thoroughly "Sort Out" if we were truly compatable in all areas. Deju Vu!!!

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John:

We don't really know each other, but if you want to move to Texas, out in the sticks, I've got a 2 bedroom mobile home on my new place, down the road from my house, doing nothing, with electricity and a place for a shop, guessing 20x40, it is a Quonset hut type metal barn, concrete floor, wired. I'll give, as in free, gratis, you a permanent written lease on it for as long as you wish, or until you decide on another spot. It ain't Oregon, but the price is right. It is on a hard top road, and Fed X and UPS know where we are, other than that and a lot of deer and ducks, it doesn't have much to offer. About 2 1/2 hours from Dallas.

I'm not kidding, you are welcome to come, but the point is, take some time, get it right this time, before you commit to another spot.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PS and on the same property, there will soon be a 1000 yard plus range, could get 300 or 400 out of the door of the shop.

one of us
posted Hide Post
John - you don't know me from Adam, so I'm sure you'll take this advice with a big spoonful of salt, but here goes:
Don't go work for someone else, I'm sure you'll find a way to move your shop. Central Oregon is one of my favorite places in the USA, and would be a great place to set up. You've established yourself as one of the premier big bore bolt action riflesmiths, so just keep on keeping on.

Best Regards,
Scott

Posts: 117 | Location: Sierra Foothills, CA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gator, damn, twist both the arms a little more!! Might make a deal if the duplictor is available!

On a more serious note, I will take my time in looking, no rush now. I have no kids, no pets, no dependents, so a move for me is easy (other than the dead weight of all the machinery!) and I can go just about anywhere. And, I lived in San Antonio off an on over a 3 year period, those Texas ladies sure do look nice. Wonder if Randy's Rodeo is still in San Antone? Need to find one of those women that likes to Elk hunt and can throw a Diamond Hitch across a set of panniers.

Scott, I her ya, had my fill of working in Corporate America years ago. Got tired of being a step ladder for those MBA's with Golden Parachutes. I may be interested in some type of contractural work for a firearms related company to help me along until I get a new shop up and running.

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John,
I am also of the "Don't know you from Adam" group,but I think Central Oregon has alot to offer. I have a 'smith I am committed to for my work but there is Nosler over in Bend,Williams Firearms right here in Prineville,as well as some more I haven't got time to look up right now. You said yourself you have time. Maybe while you are in the area you can check in with them? I know nothing is firm til your machinery is trucked out. Good luck whatever you do. I have been here for nine years and think moving here was "The Smartest Thing I Have Ever Done". Plenty of space,reasonable cost of living, Nice weather though chilly it isn't wet. 45nut

Posts: 538 | Location: elsewhere | Registered: 07 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John, you had better give me a call when you are here. I may be able to help with a relocate, and it would be nice to be able to put a face with the name. My gunsmith friend Ray Price who passed away this year had his shop up the Entiat Valley and his wife may consider renting it. Not free like Gatorado but if you want to stay around here it would be a start and we desperately need a gunsmith around here.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chic, I was planning on calling you prior to a Wenatchee trip. Could have a BS session over a lunch. I like Wenatchee, made a few hunting trips in that area many years ago when I lived in Tacoma.

Whatever location I pick I will likely rent for a while until I get the shop situation squared away. It will take more than one trip to move all the stuff I have, lots of heavy iron in the shop. I would like to move it only once!!!

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
John,

Renae and I hope you get it sorted out. I think Washington has advantages over Oregon for a business, but of course that isn't the only factor in a potential relocation.

jim

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John,

I am an electrical contractor and I'm relocating to Sisters, Oregon in a few months. I am contracted to wire a new commercial/industrial building that has quite a bit of space available that I'm sure the owner would love to rent. It is in a nice little industrial park about 20 miles from Bend and Redmond with lots of great people around. Let me know if you want any more information. The building should be ready about the same time you will be moving your equipment.- Sheister
bsfx@aol.com

Posts: 385 | Location: Hillsboro, Oregon | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Dan in Wa>
posted
Chic is right, we do need a good smith in Wenatchee.
Think you would really like the Entiat valley and the people that live there, I do.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gato,

DAMN that was generous offer you made. You almost passed for something more than a capitalist [Wink] [Wink] [Wink] Seriously, this is why I like this board, seems people have a real sense of community around here.

Best Regards,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Ricks:
Need to find one of those women that likes to Elk hunt and can throw a Diamond Hitch across a set of panniers.

Need to look at the Forum's own Ann at Aspen Hill... [Big Grin]

I feel for you even if I don't know you. From what I've experienced and read about you should take your time and clearly you can. Remember the definition of insanity (doing the same thing over and over while expecting a different result). You've found what you like to do and do well, keep on doing that which works. Keep on working on the rest, you're smart, you'll figure it out. [Wink]

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Gatogordo-
That was such a nice offer to John, I decided to take you up on it myself. I'm sending my mother-in-law to you via the Greyhound bus. She'll be arriving Wednesday. Put her in the mobile home and put bars on the windows. Let's make the lease in perpetuity. I'll check back with you in about . . .oh, 2025 or so.
Forrest

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ForrestB:

For your Mother-in-law the lease is free, however, the monthly maintenance charges are quite high, I will send you a bill for the first month in advance and for each month thereafter. There will, of course, be annual inflation adjustments, and other assessments for extraordinary expenses. Please forward your address. Wire transfers are acceptable.

Fair warning: Failure to pay in a prompt and orderly manner will be cause for shipping her back with assorted of my in-laws and other worthless relatives that now become your charge.

one of us
posted Hide Post
John the Greek:

I am a capitalist. If you ever have to go out in the real world, you will likely become one too. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

The offer was made for the simple reason that I have the listed items on a ranch I just bought, am not going to use them, or lease them (too much trouble and liability for the amount of money involved)and I thought if John Ricks wanted to move to Texas this would be a cheap start. However, this area is remote from any real population centers, there is almost NO possibility of walk ins, and most important, the availability of women is fairly limited IMO (although my wife doesn't let me really test that theory)and the availability of desirable ones is even more limited. Best to bring one with you that likes country living.

On the plus side, land is fairly cheap here, and productive(we average about 47 inches or rain a year). However, this is Texas, and public hunting lands are almost non-existent.

I know John isn't going to move down here, but he is welcome if he should have a wild hair. Texas can always use another good gunsmith.

posted Hide Post
John,

I sent you a email, did you receive.

Posts: 23 | Location: Seattle, Wa. | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Got both emails, reply sent.

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
John,

Did you get my query on the barrel and stock blank?

jim

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote