New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel beding
 Login/Join

<Joe McGill>
posted
Has anyone used pillars instead of sleves to bed a heavy barrel? What number of pillars and what spaceing? Thanks for any information. Joe

one of us
posted Hide Post
Give us some more info: Action type, barrel contour, cartridge, stock details and what is the intended use of the rifle?

I custom machine stainless steel pillars for all the rifles I build. Hunting rifle pillars are smaller in diameter than pillars for long range target rifles. And the type of stock & magazine dictates pillar size: ADL type take a different pillar than a full floorplate, and single shot benchrest actions take entirely different pillars. And there is a specific method of both making the pillars and installing them in the stock to ensure accuracy.

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Joe McGill>
posted
John sorry I didn't supply the info the first post. I am using a 98 mauser action with a lilja barrel 1.4 dia. x 36in. straight cylendar chambered 308 Palma. The stock is a Richards Microfit laminated wood target with a 3.5 in. forearm and ventelation slots into the barrel channel. The slot placement has prevented me from useing a barrel sleve in the normal manor so pillars is the only answer I have come up with. Joe