New
Find
Notify
Tools

I really dont like decitions..
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Im sitting here wondering if I should do two custom rifles, and be done with it. Atleast for normal big-game hunting.

Right now I have a 30-06, and Im pleased with it, but I allways thought that a 7x57 and 9.3x62 just sounds sooo good, that I have thought about having someone make two rifles for me. A matched pair.

And, while Im at it, having these two, there would be no need for a 30-06, even though it could back up each of them. But taking cost into the consideration, I recon they would cost me $6-7000. Thats with scope, stock, barrels etc..

Now, for that kind of money, I could reload somewhere around 6000 rounds of ammo. That is alot of ammo, and would serve me a long time. And making me a better shot... Now, Im just not sure. Your thoughts?

Posts: 615 | Location: a cold place | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1) I assume you're an American, so you keep the '06 (dammit Big Grin)

2) call a gunsmith and discuss your 7 and 9.32mm's as to how you want them.

3) better three rifles than two- it's only money.

4) you have a gun urge- to deny it will only cause others pain.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
I'll be a protagonist and tell you to build one custom rifle. Keep your 30-06 and build the 9.3x62. Then, spend the money you have spent on the 7x57 on a hunting trip somewhere where you could put your 30-06 and 9.3x62 to good use (like Africa).

Its just my humble opinion, but a 7x57 and a 30-06 would be too much redundancy. Build the 9.3 to shoot heavier bullets...use the 30-06 for everything else.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it was me, I'd keep the '06 and build a 7x57 and a 375 H&H. Those three will just about cover it all.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Had this same discussion with myself (not outloud) and came to the conclusion of keeping the 06 and adding larger to it I now have 2, 3 gun sets that both involve an 06. 06, 9.3 x 62 and 458 wm all on FN mausers, and 06, 375 and 470 capstick on model 70 classics. Like you mention the 06 is CHEEP to feed and with it set up the same as the others they all feel the same. So what is your 06 built on? What ever it is add a TRUE medium 9.3 or 375 and add either a big bore or a long range affair depending on your goals. You could replace my large bores with a 25-06, 257 roberts, 6mm x ? or the like as a longer range affair.

Posts: 496 | Location: ME | Registered: 08 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1. the first thing to ask is what is "normal" big game hunting for you, and has kind of been mentioned, what is the largest game you ever intend to hunt.

2. Talk to some custom makers that you like. See what they have to say.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Since the .30-06 and 7x57 will fill the same niche, I would start by keeping the '06 until I got the 9.3x62 built. Then, if I had enough money left over, I'd build the 7x57 if, of course, you're allowed that many guns.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
We probably all do the same "planning". I seem stuck on a .300 H&H and a 375 H&H. Especially in a matched pair.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
There are some other really great matched pair combinations with classic calibers that I think would be great, if not necessarily too practical in terms of ammo availability. For instance:

a) 318 Westley Richards and 425 Westley Richards
b) 350 Rigby and 416 Rigby
c) 300 Weatherby Magnum and 375 Weatherby Magnum

Anybody else have some good combos to suggest?

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Well, I'm sure we could find a way to work in a 10,75x68, don't you think?

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
333 Jeffery and 404 Jeffery?

One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:
There are some other really great matched pair combinations with classic calibers that I think would be great, if not necessarily too practical in terms of ammo availability. For instance:

Wink: Start a new thread on this...this is a good one!!

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riodot:
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:

Wink: Start a new thread on this...this is a good one!!

Done!