THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Blind magazine guard setup for a Model 70 Classic?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blind magazine guard setup for a Model 70 Classic?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Aside from the Winchester 670 guard, which I have, does anyone make a nice looking aftermarket aluminum "ADL" trigger guard for a Model 70?

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is, IMHO, a bad idea to attempt to save weight with this part, in a mountain hunting rifle. I have a P-64 original Fwt.-.270Win. in a blind mag. Micky Edge stock and it has an alloy guard; given, previous experiences with alloy bottom metal hunting in rugged terrain, I am going to change it to a steel one.

I just put together a 1946 Mod. 70 action, a real smoothy, with a stainless Classic Fwt. .270Win. tube, Micky Edge handle and am working on the final sights/scope setup now. I have steel BM on this, but, I am going to replace the floorplate ONLY with an alloy one I have, find and use one of the Mod. 70 delrin follwers and this will give me what I consider among the best mountain rifles/cartridges possible.

I am close to twice your age and have packed a LOT of rifles a LOT of mountain miles, but, having experienced a "breakdown" once or twice, I am pretty cautious about what parts I use where on my serious rifles. Just sayin', a guy has got to build his rifles to make himself happy and not ornery old geezers like me.

I think Williams has what you want, but, do not know if they are still in the game.

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote