Find
Notify
Tools

Out of round barrel
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does any one have ideas suggestions.

I purchased a new 375 H&H Ruger No1. So far accuracy hasn't been great, and I suspected it may be me.

Recently I decided to purchase a bullet mold from LBT and after reading the instructions for measuring the throat, neck and leade, I made a soft lead slug of .380 and pushed that into the throat.
I was surprised to find it didn't come out round, acroos 2 grooves it measured .376, the next pair of grooves meased .3765 and the last pair measured .377.

Short of replacing the barrel, does anyone have suggestions?

Thanks

Posts: 61 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is kinda hard to make precision but out of round holes. Try checking your barrel 3 or 4 more times until you get the technique right.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
How did you measure the slug?

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by x-rings:
Does any one have ideas suggestions.

I purchased a new 375 H&H Ruger No1. So far accuracy hasn't been great, and I suspected it may be me.

Recently I decided to purchase a bullet mold from LBT and after reading the instructions for measuring the throat, neck and leade, I made a soft lead slug of .380 and pushed that into the throat.
I was surprised to find it didn't come out round, acroos 2 grooves it measured .376, the next pair of grooves meased .3765 and the last pair measured .377.

Short of replacing the barrel, does anyone have suggestions?

Thanks

That sounds like a possible technique issue. Make five measurements and take an average.

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feed back.

I made a tapered slug that went from .379 up to .380.

I measured this at several locations and took the average, then forced it into the throat using plenty of lube, once the slug had entered about .5", I knocked it out from the muzzle end.

As near as I could manage, I measured across the middle of each groove, I tried this at several points along the groove, the results were the same each time I measured the groove.

One thought that occured to me was maybe the slug was out of round to start with, but I'm not sure. Would it be forced round if driven into a round barrel or would it stay out of round?

I'm going to re check using some cast projectiles and see what results I get.

thanks

Posts: 61 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
You can distort a lead slug just in how you remove it. Pour a cast.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does your Ruger #1 have a "micro-groove" barrel?
Some did as did the 458 Win. and 45-70 #1. Really hard to get an accurate reading on a micro-groove slug.

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What did you use to measure the slug? Micrometer or caliper?

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srose:
What did you use to measure the slug? Micrometer or caliper?

Or a Toolmaker's scope which is what I have to measure anything that close that I can fit on the table. I'm going to throw out the fifty millionths number again. My little microscope can measure a part down to .00005"

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote