Find
Notify
Tools

Rebore or rebarrel 1903 Springfield?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
I want to get my late father's Springfield back in action. The issue barrel has some pitting near the muzzle, and I have been looking at having it rebored to .338-06 or .35 Whelen, probably be JES here in Oregon.
Question is, is the basic steel in the Springfield issue barrel (this one was made in May 1921) really good stuff?
I'm thinking it would need to be shortened to remove the issue front sight and step, and turned to remove the rough machining marks. By the time all this is said and done, perhaps I should just rebarrel to .257 Roberts, .25-06 or maybe 7X57, all of which would be fine for my needs.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16653 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What I would do....
First see if it shoots well enough for your needs, a lot of rough pitted barrels give hunting accuracy.
If it is not good have it re-barreled to the cartridge, contour and length you really want. Put the old barrel on a shelf in the gun room, maybe on a stand with a plaque "Dad's Barrel".

Mark

Posts: 1244 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
You say your father's 1903 has the military barrel. One option is to replace the barrel with a new, direct replacement, Criterion barrel. These are available in both 30-06 and .308 for both the 1903 and 1903-A3. They are accurate enough to be holding their own in the matches.

http://criterionbarrels.com/barrels/m1903a3
quote:

This Chrome-moly barrel features:

Timed barrel threads
Milled front sight key
Extractor cut
Timing mark

4140 chrome moly steel, button rifled, contoured and finish lapped after contouring. Comply with CMP Competition Rules and are legal for the 1903 Matches. Parkerized like the original 1903 and chambered .010 away from finish size to be fitted and headspaced when assembled to fit your receiver and bolt dimensions. ASSEMBLY AND HEADSPACING BY A QUALIFIED GUNSMITH IS REQUIRED.
They then list a couple of gunsmiths who will supply and install the barrels. They also list the CMP Custom Shop. If you qualify to use them, the CMP is a great way to go. I have a 1903 with the CMP now getting a complete refurbishment and accurization.

http://dgrguns.com/0-main-page-barrels.htm

http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/customshop.htm

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
03 barrels of that vintage are nickel steel; not as good as chrome moly but not bad. I would re-barrel it to your caliber of choice.

Posts: 17285 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies gentlemen. Want to hunt this old Springfield in memory of my father.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16653 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shoot it before doing anything. I had an '03 with similar issues, it shot very well.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
And let us know what you do/how things turn(ed) out.

Bob Shaffer

Posts: 1946 | Location: Michigun | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Bill, that's a good action you have there.

I've had several of them rebored/rebarreled for my own use in larger chamberings, including one in .30/.338 Mag, and one in .458 Mag. N p4roblems of any kind with any of them.

Whether you decide to rebore or rebarrel, the action is up to snuff for any normal medium length hunting round.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
AC, I do love a Springfield. I was just rereading Frank de Haas' chapter on this action and appreciating it all the more. I am having a stock fitted and bedded, and if it won't shoot I have concluded that I will send it over the mountain to JES in Myrtle Creek for reboring.

– John Green, author