New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rebated rim (head) cartidges...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I asked this before, but didn't get much specific info on how to do it, probably because I asked too narrow of a question.

Without referring to any specific action, what kind of difficulties arise when you try to feed a cartidge with a rebated head from a magazine?

My intuition is that the bolt may 'override' the rim, and hit the wider base of the cartridge instead, resulting in a jam. The correction would be relieving the underside of the rail a little more, and increasing the width of the rails a little, allowing the cartridge to pop up more and get picked up properly. Open it up too much, and the cartidges all fly out. Is this all correct, or is there something else I'm missing?

If you're curious or missed it before, we're talking 500 Jeffery in a P-14 Enfield -- and I want to keep it the original rebated 500J, not the improved version.

TIA,
Todd

[ 09-24-2002, 20:20: Message edited by: Todd Getzen ]

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Todd---

Rebated rims are tough in CRF actions. You have it right. The feed rails are called on to hold rebated rimmed cartridges with LESS rail. On heavy kickers it sometimes become a problem.

Mauser went so far as to re-design the M-98 action for Westley Richards for their rebated 425 Westley Richards (10.75x68).

425 WR close-up

The picture is a little dark----- the rear bridge and opened bolt face is to the left.

The two bright hooks are spring-loaded towards the center but can pivot outward .100" each. These hooks are the rear feed rail and hold the cartridges in the magazine until the bolt face picks up the base of the case and then hits the feeder fingers and forces them apart which allows the bolt to continue forward and it releases the cartridge at the same time.

On extraction the body of the bolt holds the next cartridge in the magazine until the bolt clears the feeder fingers which pivot inward and catch the cartridge just before it squirts straight up.

[ 09-25-2002, 05:54: Message edited by: JBelk ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
That's very interesting how they've worked around it. I wonder what would happen if I left the back of the rails a little narrower (but still wide enough to allow the cartridge head to be picked up) and then opened them up more in the front, kind of a reverse of the tapered rails seen on Czech Mausers?

I'm thinking you would have to thin the rails quite a bit from the underside, making them almost knife-like at the edge. You'd want the cartridge to stay out to the side as much as possible, while still allowing it to rise up enough to get picked up?

If I may tack on another question, would Remington 30 bottom metal be a decent alternative to straightening p-17 metal?

Thanks,
Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
A lot depends on HOW rebated the cartridge is. For example, I have a 6mm/.284 in a M 98 Mauser, there is absolutely no feeding problem at all, and nothing was done to the action. But, things like the .425 Wesley Richards have been known to have severe feeding difficulties in some actions.... [Big Grin]