THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Adjust or "work" a trigger on new Mark II M77 Ruger.

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Adjust or "work" a trigger on new Mark II M77 Ruger.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted
My buddy really likes the trigger on my old tang safety Ruger that I adjusted and smoothed out years ago. He has a new ( one of the last of the new Mark II's ) M77 Mark II and wants the trigger lightened.
I took a look at it but it is vastly different than the old ones, anybody have any tips on dis-assembly and adjustments on the Mark II trigger?
I would like to retain the stock trigger if possible rather than replace with a Timney (for now).
Thanks

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Disassembly is pretty easy. Push the levers pivot pin and catch the spring. Carefully polish the top edge of the trigger lever maintaining the same angle. You might break the fwd edge slighlty with a stone.

Pull the bolt, flip the action upside down and push the sears retaining pin to the side and catch the sear. No need to remove the pin. No need to disassemble the safety either. Lightly stone or polish it's surface keeping it square. You can replace the spring with a lighter one. Check to see if Wolff offers a lighter weight spring. I make mine from bulk material as needed.

There is plenty more that can be done to make that trigger real "sweet", but this should produce a better pull than what the gun came with. Don't forget to apply a little moly grease on the sear and impact test the hold. Good luck!

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
My buddy really likes the trigger on my old tang safety Ruger that I adjusted and smoothed out years ago. He has a new ( one of the last of the new Mark II's ) M77 Mark II and wants the trigger lightened.
I took a look at it but it is vastly different than the old ones, anybody have any tips on dis-assembly and adjustments on the Mark II trigger?
I would like to retain the stock trigger if possible rather than replace with a Timney (for now).
Thanks

Do a search for ruger M-77 MKII triggers. There is a very detailed article on this somewhere around here on this subject. Have a good one. jumping

Posts: 2361 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Thanks Westpac
It is now much better!

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
Disassembly is pretty easy. Push the levers pivot pin and catch the spring. Carefully polish the top edge of the trigger lever maintaining the same angle. You might break the fwd edge slighlty with a stone.

Pull the bolt, flip the action upside down and push the sears retaining pin to the side and catch the sear. No need to remove the pin. No need to disassemble the safety either. Lightly stone or polish it's surface keeping it square. You can replace the spring with a lighter one. Check to see if Wolff offers a lighter weight spring. I make mine from bulk material as needed.

There is plenty more that can be done to make that trigger real "sweet", but this should produce a better pull than what the gun came with. Don't forget to apply a little moly grease on the sear and impact test the hold. Good luck!

My son's 77 RSI in 30-06 had a 7 pound pull before doing what Westpak recommends. I keep a box of spring material for changing springs too, and I did install a lighter weight spring, plus polishing mating parts surfaces, for a very good 2 1/2 pound pull.
On other 77's I have changed out the triggers using aftermarket triggers. I like the Rifle Basix as they are easier to install. With others, I have to fit the safety so it works, which requires filing down the safety lug. (A PITA)

Don

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
My buddy finally shot the rifle on friday and he is really excited about the trigger. He told me that he doesn't like a trigger as light as I have on some of my rifles that he's shot and thinks the modification I did to his Ruger is tops.
I still think it has a bit of creep but it is smooth and a crisp break, feels about 4 pounds (maybe 3.5)to me but he thinks it is the best.
Thanks for the help guys.