New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: M70 feeding and accuracy problems *pics*
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I had the exact same problem with a Tikka M695 338WM. I unsuccessfully tried to bend the follower/magazine spring. The only fix was to replace the magazine (free from Stoeger Canada) it has never failed to feed the 2nd or 3rd round since.

Posts: 96 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 21 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoulda saw that one comin'.....

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Any recommendations (besides selling it and buying a Rem 700 )??

Yes!

1. Sell it and get a model 98 custom.

2. Sell it and get a Sako.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The back of the follower/cartridges is/are hanging up on the joint between the mag box and the receiver. Smooth out/chamfer the edge of the receiver.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm having consistent feeding problems in my Win M70 classic. I load three cartridges and chamber the first one A-OK but when I eject it, the base of the 2nd and/or 3rd round remains below the bolt face 90% of the time. Here's a few pics -

Correct position of follower -

How my follower looks most of the time, until I correct it with my fingers -

How the 2nd and 3rd round come up 90% of the time -

Bolt misses the base of the cartridge -

So.....is this easy to permanently fix?

The gun is full-length bedded to a McMillan stock but shoots like crap (tried 4 types of factory ammo - best groups are 2+ inches).

Any recommendations (besides selling it and buying a Rem 700 )??

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Brother Nebraskan

I am having the same problem with my WSM. The magazine box is too tight at the shoulder. Until you (and I) can get it fixed, make sure you load the cartridges into the magazine by inserting the cartridges all the way to the rear of the mag and depress the newly loaded cartridge at the shoulder area so as to not bind the rear of the shell down too low for the bolt to pick it up.

I think the resolution of this problem is a wider magazine box. Dad burn it.

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why not give Winchester a chance to fix the feeding ?

Did it feed bad in the factory stock ?

You say it is full length bedded ? That includes the barrel ? If so , I would try free floating or a pressure point at the forend tip........factory loads often don't shoot much better than 2 inches for me ............

On second thought , is that a WSM ? The cartridge looks short and fat.........if so , didn't everyone tell you those dam things won't feed ?........(grin)

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Why not give Winchester a chance to fix the feeding ?

>Right on!

Did it feed bad in the factory stock ?

> I think that IS the factory stock!

You say it is full length bedded ? That includes the barrel ? If so , I would try free floating or a pressure point at the forend tip........factory loads often don't shoot much better than 2 inches for me ............

On second thought , is that a WSM ? The cartridge looks short and fat.........if so , didn't everyone tell you those dam things won't feed ?........(grin)

BTW, It's spelled damn :-(

Looks like a 300 Win. Mag. to me, short neck and all.

FYI, it's generally considered that three dots (...) are the "proper amount"

Posts: 626 | Location: The soggy side of Washington State | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
#1 replace the follower spring
#2 call winchester if it's still more or less a factory gun
#3 order a wsm follower and a 458 magbox from brownells

jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Nebraska, Look in your "Owner's Manual" for the closest Warranty Repair Center and give them a call. Chances are one is within a days drive of you. They should be able to correct the problem while you wait for it.

Always aggravating to have a "new" rifle come out of the box with problems. I see a lot of "Feed Problem" posts with the "Controlled Feed" M70s, but it happens with all of them from time to time. Last one I had a Feed Problem on was a "Removable Magazine" M700. A few "adjustment whammings" on one retention flange with the old Flange Adjustment Tool (rubber mallet) cured it.

The thing that is interesting to me is that Controlled Feed is touted as such a HUGE RELIABILITY issue by their fans. I've not counted, but it sure seems like there are more "reported" Feed Problems with the Controlled Feed M70s than the Push Feed of any make.

Anyway, the Warranty Center can fix you up.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have experienced the same problem a time or two and the usual culprit is the action. The cartridge may be hanging up near the rim/belt in the bottom of the action. When you have one that the bolt passes over, check to see if it is stopping its upward travel by some portion of the action. Also, try to nudge the offending round forward a bit with some sort of pick and see if it pops up. If so, it is definitely the action.

Jim

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Montana in .375 that had the same feeding problems. They sent me a follower with slightly different dimensions and feeds perfectly now..

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I encountered the same problem when my Win 70 .338 Win Mag was new. Unless the bolt was actioned sharply, the bolt would often ride over the top ctg. I stoned the sides of the cast follower and deburred the underside of the feed rails. Problem gone and rifle feeds much more smoothly.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Just went out and took a close look at mine to see what the problem was, for sure. I have a WSM so it may be different than yours (though I doubt it). After closer inspection, I could see it was always the left cartridge in the box. The two right hand cartridges don't give the problem. What is happening with mine is the rim of the left cartridge is hanging up under the ejector. It doesen't do it every time, but its enough to be troublesome. I will try a couple of things and get back to you when I figure out how to fix the problem.

Check yours and see if that is it. Let me know.

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm just a novice at this, but is it possible that the action screws are torquing the action and causing problems? Did it have the feeding problem prior to the MacMillan stock? Just wondering if the different stock, etc. might have something to do with it.

Like I said, just a novice so it's more of a question than a suggestion

Posts: 714 | Location: Sorexcuse, NY | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nebraska,

Can you post some more of those good pictures? Perhaps one of the extractor without a cartridge in the action.

I have a SS M70 Classic in 7mm WSM that has always fed well. I will try to post some pics of mine.

This action will even feed empties.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote