New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stocks for Sako L461 or A1
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone come across a synthetic stock that will fit (or could be modded to fit) the Sako 461 or A1?

Posts: 121 | Location: Southern Australia | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
McMillan fiberglass stocks makes an excellent one.

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
<1GEEJAY>
posted
Hey'
I got a Rim Rock stock(Borden) for an AV Sako.A bit pricy,but good quality.You can pick camo or black.There are many choices of finish.My smith prefers to use them of late.
1geejay
www.shooting-hunting.com [Wink]

<Jordan>
posted
Brown Precision makes a nice stock for the 461/AI. It is a drop in and looks nice and functions well. What I like about it is that it has a slender foreend, thus making for a nice looking sporter rifle. You do have to do some bedding and maybe a bit of inletting with a dremel tool to get an excellent fit.

I have a 461 Sako action bedded into a Brown stock and chambered in .20/.222. I pillar bedded the action. The barrel is a Douglas no. 3 contour which matches the Brown barrel channel about perfectly but still gives me some clearance for float [I would not go larger than a Douglas no. 3 for that stock]. [Keep your barrel shank length to no more than about one inch in front fo the receiver to match the barrel inletting closely].

I think the Brown retails for about $230.00. After you bed it and install recoil pad [you could have Brown install the pad for you] you will need to finish the exterior of the stock and paint it. Here is what I did. It is very easy. Fill any surface voids with bondo or equivalent; rough/smooth up the stock with 60 grit paper; spray it off with a residue free cleaner/solvent [I like Berryman's carb cleaner]; paint with Zolatone speckled/textured paint.

Zolatone works very well for the home gun hobbyist. It is expensive ['bout $40.00 per quart]. Find a color you like. Buy one quart and then buy Zolatone's cartridge sprayer for 'bout $15.00. The cartridge kit obviates the need for a compressor and spray rig [normally required for Zolatone]. With the cartridge sprayer kit you can do a very professional paint job on a fiberglass stock.

The Zolatone adheres very well to a stock roughened with 50-60 grit paper. You hear people talk about finish sanding with 220 grit before painting, right? If you are using Zolatone, sand with 50-60 grit. The Zolatone has a pronounced texture to it and you will never see the rough sanding after the paint is supplied. You will, however, get a very good mechanical etch and great adhesion sanding with 50-60 grit paper.
If and when you need to touch up your paint, you have the rest of that quart of Zolatone, so you can freshen your stock up every year very easily.

The point of all this is, you can end up with a very professional, nice looking stock,using a Brown blank for a cost of 'bout $300.00. One caution about the Zolatone: some solvents [eg., Berryman's carb cleaner] will dissolve it.

Regards,

Jordan