New
Find
Notify
Tools

2 5/8 to 2 3/4 chamber?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just acquired an old 16ga Husqvarna shotgun with hammers, Swedish steel barrels and Greener crossbolt action. The chambers need to be lengthened to 2 3/4. Looks like I need another .125in. Can this be done with reamer and T-bar? If so, where can I locate the appropriate reamer? I reload for 16ga so ammo is not a problem. Thanks.

Posts: 677 | Location: Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did the same on an LC Smith and AH Fox in 12 GA. Got a long forcing cone reamer and chamber gauge from Brownells. Turned in a Brace and Bit. T handle should work. Use lots of oil stop often to clean the reamer and check the depth.

If you only intend to do one gun, it's probably cheaper to let a Gun Smith do it.

Posts: 449 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Trigger. My local smith does not have a 16ga reamer. My rifle builder in AZ is locating one. I will probably do one more double, also in 16ga, so the cost would probably be a wash.

Posts: 677 | Location: Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
VFR1,

You can buy the reamer and gauge for less that a smith will charge you to do the job on two chambers. It is a very easy operation, just remove the barrels and place them in a padded vise. Even wrapping them in a welding glove is enough. Trigger has it right on the how to go about it routine.

Sherman Bell did a series of articles in Double Gun Journal, on shooting longer shells in short chambers. He found that pressures did not rise to dangerous levels when this was done. That said good old doubles deserve to be well treated. The best way is to load low pressure loads, there is no need to shoot 10kpsi loads when the same velocity can be had at 6-7kpsi. One advantage to using the long forcingcone reamer is that patterns will impove, as the shot load has an gentlier time going from the shell to the bore.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote