Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marlin 56 scope rings
 Login/Join

posted
I have a Marlin 56 of 1955 / 56 vintage with a squared back to the receiver as opposed to the more popular rounded receiver. The muzzle has been screw cut for a sound moderator and comes with a neat knurled thread cover. I am not sure if the muzzle screw cut was a factory option or if it was made especially for the UK market. Fixed to the top of the receiver is a dovetail piece for mounting scope rings, again I am not sure if this is an original fitment.
My question is what type of scope rings are recommended for this set up, all I seem to be able to find locally are air rifle type rings designed to lock into the two groves one normally finds machined into an air rifle.
Thanks
Bob

Posts: 9 | Location: North East England | Registered: 30 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Marlin 56/57 came with a screw-on tip-off base (sometimes called a ".22 base") which is likely the same one you call an "air rifle" base. It uses standard tip-off rings. I like the rings that are all-steel made by Leupold, Burris, or Millett, but any tip-off ring will fit. The .22 LR actually produces less strain on the rings (virtually none) as compared to an air rifle which has a backward AND forward acceleration due to the spring action.

The threading for a suppressor is aftermarket. No American manufacturer of sporting firearms offers a threaded muzzle.

BTW, I think you'll find that the square-back receivers on the 56/57 are steel, and the round-back ones are aluminum. I owned a round-back M57 many, many years ago and its receiver was aluminum. The M56 used a detachable clip, whereas the M57 used a tubular magazine.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I have a 57M (22 magnum) and I was able to get a regular weaver style base for it, I think it was made by Williams. Like Stonecreeks, mine originally had the 22 style 3/8" dovetail rib which I am sure would be more than strong enough but I do have a preference for a weaver style base and rings. Well, leupold or burris rings anyway.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen
Thank you very much for your valuable replies. I now know what rings to look for online.
Bob

Posts: 9 | Location: North East England | Registered: 30 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
No American manufacturer of sporting firearms offers a threaded muzzle.

There are a few like those that make the AR-15 and M-1a.

Ranb

Posts: 803 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote