Find
Notify
Tools

577Snider reamer, and proper rifling twist
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted
Who makes a chambering reamer for 577 Snider, and what is the normal rate of twist for the barrel???????

…………………………………………………………………….. bewildered

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try Gunboards lot's of Britts there.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Haven't checked on a reamer. I bought a Snider carbine, so bought the Lee dies, and they work great and are dirt cheap, all things considered.

I originally intended to load and shoot 24 ga with roundballs in the carbine (cut off slightly). Turned out I apparently bought the only Snider left with a perfect chamber. I had to cut the 24 ga cases off to 1-1/2" before they would go in. Ended up buying a few cases. Probably better anyway.

As far as twist, it is deathly slow. Inheretid from the .58 muskets. I was doing a little thinking, and looked at barrels. It is tough to find anything except slow twist musket barrels as a stock item. Would likely have to go to a barrel intended for the Nitro Express to get a faster rate.

Posts: 1238 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Art S, I already have the barrels but am going to have them re=bored and chambered. The barrels are now chambered for 458 RCBS and are double rifle barrels. The barrels were left quite large in diameter so have pleanty of wall thickness to go out to the 577 bore. Clear Water Re-boring can rebore the barrels without seperating them! so I just need to deside what rate of twist to ask for. I will likely have to re-regulate thm but may get lucky!
Thanks again for the reply!

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would go with the same twist used in the 577 NE, unless you are planning on going for a round ball double of some kind.
I am not sure about case construction. I presume the available cases can take high intensity loads, but I am not sure about this. For practice and dummy loads, you could size down some brass shotshells, but be sure and don't load them up. As far as I know, they are baloon head cases.

Posts: 1238 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Kynoch still loads factory ammo for the Snider, and Brass is available as well. It can also be made form 577NE brass by simply shortening and running into a snider die.
I don't need high intencity loads for this rifle, just duplicate origenal balistics. The rifle Im re-boreing is now chambered for 458RCBS and has no problem with the working pressures. The barrels were left very heavy, and so is very barrel heavy, but with a 577 hole all the way down the barrels will make the rifle ballance far better. I have several double rifles for other purposes, so there is no need to push the snider. For anything big and bad, I simply use my 470NE double.
The Snider will simply be a fun gun for hog and deer hunting! It is a side lock exposed hammer rifle!

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is my 577 double with its twin 12 ga. Have the same serial number and the rifle is engraved #1.

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Nice old pair! Congrats beer

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith