Notify
Tools

Re: Sako Riihimaki Rem .222
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted
Which version do you have?

There were several Riihimaki-built Sako 222s, but the two I have most commonly seen were:

1) The Marlin-Sako varmint rifle, with a medium-heavy chro-mo barrel and the safety on the right-hand side of the cocking piece. I remember when these first came out, and they quickly developed a very devoted following. They were accurate, well built, and nice looking in a classic sense.

2) Another common model was the light sporter with the detachable magazine, perfect for casual walk-abouts. It was soon followed by an essentially similar model with an enclosed, "permanently" attached Mauser-style magazine. Both were/are very nice rifles. They were very light to carry, very well fitted, and quite accurate for their very light barrels.

In my opinion, the weakness of the later models was/is their trigger. Of the several rifles of this model which I have owned, it was impossible to adjust the trigger to a light, crisp, pull with complete safety. Numerous attempts resulted in triggers which worked well enough for 20-50 shots, but then would begin to not hold the cocking piece back as the bolt closed.

Anyway, I still love the little light-weight (not heavy barreled) versions with the early triggers. I bought another which appeared virtually unfired just a few months ago, for $700.

Have fun with yours, it will likely last as long as you do....

Alberta Canuck

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
Bush Pig,
It's a piece of junk and you should'nt trouble yourself with it further. If you will just send it to me I will dispose of it properly. I'll even pay the freight just to show you my heart is in the right place Jim

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I recently have been given a Sako Riihimaki rem .222 Aparently this rifle is about 40 to 50 years old. Had the smithy clean it up, test fire it and lighten the trigger to just how I like it. Is this a old crap box or is this rifle an old goodie? Is there any history about this rifle? What can I expect from this calibre?
Thanks

Posts: 6 | Location: Qld. Australia | Registered: 25 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I've got an old Sako .222 that is on it's second barrel. The first one got wore out on a couple thousand ground squirrels, prarrie dogs, and rockchucks. With a few turkeys, fox, coyotes, bobcat (1), and whitetail doe (1) thrown in. The .222 is a great small caliber hunting cartridge but has been nearly forgotten with the popularity of the .223

The little Sako action like you have is ideally suited for these small calibers. The question is what kind of accuracy you get out of that particular rifle. Assuming you get good accuracy you have a small caliber jewel.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bushpig, I am not sharp on rifle history, maybe I don't read enough--or I ain't old enough, (44) but one thing I do know is that it isn't a piece of crap. My grandpa has had one since I knew what a rifle was and it has always shot great. Some of the other members can give you some way better info than that, but it's at least one good reference.
Good Luck--D.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just acquired a Sako .222, also. This one is a varmint model, Riihimaki on the receiver, and "Bofors steel" on the barrel. Has an extractor that is longer than the Sako extractors that I've installed on Remingtons. It has a very pretty stock, varmint forearm with black tip and black tip on the pistol grip. The metal on this one is about perfect but it has a couple of dings in the stock, probably from getting in and out of the safe. It has a detachable magazine and nice trigger.
It came from an estate sale and will be sold after I get tired of showing it off to friends. Glad to see that it has some value. I think that they were made prior to 1977 but am not sure.

Posts: 275 | Location: NW USA | Registered: 27 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two, the clip model which is on it's second barrel, and a solid bottom single shot (sold only as a barreled action) that I have had rebarreled to 17 Rem. Both guns are great shooters. I bought the 222 clip gun in 1961. I worked all summer in the hot S. Ariz. sun to earn that rifle, I was 16yrs. old. Pedro

Posts: 382 | Location: Lewiston, Idaho--USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote