Tools

Re: Heat treat warpage...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted
Quote:

a re-heat treat or recarburization should be done to any reciever and bolt

I wouldn't do the bolt.....just the action.....I've never seen a bolt fail.....the action might set back.....the bolts don't fail.

I've built most of my guns on Winchester M-70, Sako and Remington actions.....only seven guns on M-98 actions.....two 1909 Argies, a 1908 DWM, two VZ-24s a 1937 JP sauer, and a mexican small ring.

I'm fortunate enough to have had access to a superficial hardness tester all that time and the only action I hardened was the Mexican small ring. The chamberings have been to .25-06 and .300 mag as well as .30-06 and 6.5 X 55.

I'd recommend you test the hardness before you automatically decide to have it hardened. It could be a waste of time and money. ONLY ON A SUPERFIVIAL TESTER and then on the 15-N scale

The folks in Salt Lake city (Blanchards) only carburize .015 deep unless otherwise requested.....and that isn't real deep.....

I think the heat treating of '98 military actions is a real issue....but further believe we've way over done it.

Right now I'm building two '98s to 6.5-06 and .338-06 and I'm not going to heat treat either of them until there's a demonstrated need. That said.....I'm not going to be running 75,000 PSI in them either!!!!

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My M98 was re-heat treated ,carburized and hardened to ~ 40HRc .There is always a chance of warping . The best prevention is to have it done by a heat treater who has lots of experience doing it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
With all i have been reading about the steel and relative strength of the 98 mauser action, I have come to the conclusion that a re-heat treat or recarburization should be done to any reciever and bolt that i would re-barrel. My question is, How common is it for the reciever to be warped from this operation and are certain 98 actions more prone to this? Is a VZ-24 made in the thirtys less likely to warp than a 1909 Argy? When i contacted Blanchards, I forgot to ask but i feel they may tell me what i want to hear. I know that it happens but can it be prevented? Anyone have some experience with this and what hardness should i ask for on bolt and reciever? Who to do the work and will anyone guarantee no warpage? For hardness after the re-carburization i was thinking around 35rc for the reciever and 40rc for the bolt, Any thoughts on this? Swede96.

Posts: 87 | Location: Woodbury, Ct. 06798 | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote