Find
Notify
Tools

260 Remington bored to 6.5-284.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
All,
I have a 260 Remington that I was thinking of reaming to 6.5-284 Norma. Will this work? A good idea? Potential problems?

My thoughts are this. I am going to build a couple of rifles in 6.5-284 Norma and it will take some time as I acquire barrels, reamers, etc. I wanted to begin to work up some loads, shoot this catridge, and basically try it out prior to building up these other two rifles. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Jason

Posts: 98 | Location: Plano, TX | Registered: 16 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jason

I don't know much about the 6.5 /284 norma but have a 260 remington and my buddy is looking for a 260 barrel. What plans do you have for your 260 barrel if i can ask? I know he would take it off your hands in a heart beat for a good price.
Matt

Posts: 49 | Location: Lincoln,NE | Registered: 10 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i dont know the dimensions of the norma case but feed rail and ramp will be needed. also to consider is the long for caliber 6.5 bullets. they might really crowd powder space with your short magazine. i am assuming a rem 700 short action? brownells does offer a longer magazine for the rem 700. 3.0" or 3.1". i dont remember.
good luck............
woofer

Posts: 741 | Location: vermont. thanks for coming, now go home! | Registered: 05 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of lofter
posted Hide Post
Woofer is correct on mag length. I tried my 129 hornady hand loads in my 700 7-08 mag well and they are too long. Also feeding will need to be addressed.

Posts: 411 | Location: Southeastern Pa | Registered: 30 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
I dunno if you even want to rechamber.... You'll probably want a much faster twist so just rechambering will be useless....

Sell your barrel as a "take off" and buy a custom barrel such as a Hart in 1:8" twist...

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jason you have mail!

Posts: 49 | Location: Lincoln,NE | Registered: 10 October 2002Reply With Quote