Find
Notify
Tools

CZ 550 action question?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted
Does anyone make a replacement three-position Winchester style safety for the CZ 550?

Thanks,
KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kabluewy: Jim Wisner, who posts on this forum, makes them for $210 in the white. His telephone number is 360-748-3743, fax number 360-748-6028. Do a search titled CZ 550 three position safety and it will come up near the bottom of the posts. Good luck ... Tom Purdom

Posts: 499 | Location: Eudora, Ks. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
Is this it?

http://www.wisnersinc.com/

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
You can also try www.hunting-rifles.com or www.edlapourgunsmithing.com

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ed bought the WIsner design. The Wisner/Lapour safety is so far ahead of the AHR that it is not even funny. I will never buy another AHR safety (or anything else) unless there are absolutely no other alternatives

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Marc S- I was going to have AHR do some work on a CZ of mine. Frankly, yours are the first negative comments I have found about them. Can you elaborate and potentially help me avoid a costly mistake? Thanks. Feel free to PM me if you would rather.

one of us
posted Hide Post
their work may be OK-I have never seen an AHR rifle "live and in the flesh" so I can't comment on it. It may be very good for all I know, so I suggest holding a rifle they made and judging for yourself.

Their safety was total junk. I have installed many different brands of M70 safeties and all require fitting. But this one flat out would not work and the quality of the machining was horrendous. I sent the action with safety parts to them and they sent it back working, after charging me a good deal, and making the finsihed rifle delivery late. I took the safety apart when back in the shop and found where they had to change out parts (the ones I told them would not work) and then they totally denied doing it. It was a little insulting for them to do that, and it ensured that I would never deal with AHR again if there was a way around it.

LaPour's safeties are very good. I have not installed one, but have used the Wisner unit-which is what LaPour now makes. and besides, I will trust a Guild member before I trust a company unless it has been proven to me that there is a problem.

I am not sure what they charge for their rifles, but I imagine you can get better for less money if you go to an individual gun maker. This is pure speculation but is usually true for company rifles vs. custom for an individual maker (like with COoper or Dakota).

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was going to have AHR do some work on a CZ of mine. Frankly, yours are the first negative comments I have found about them. Can you elaborate and potentially help me avoid a costly mistake? Thanks. Feel free to PM me if you would rather

A member on our lease bought one of their basic rifles in 340Howell. Trying to copy my 340PDK. It was a good rifle. Would I pay $1700 for it. NO. But I build everything I shoot and my time is free to me. Wink He was happy and I saw no major issues.

I argree with Marc. Depending on what you want done there might be more economic options.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Marc:

have you used the Gentry made unit? I have seen it and am considering it as I like the gas Flange design of the shroud. My two choices are the Gentry and the LaPour units...I was not impressed with a AHR unit a shooting parner has it is bulky and very blocky. The Gentry unit has the lines of the classic 98 flange shroud with the 3 place safety of the Win. I think it is an attractive unit! But if it doesn't work then it is only good looking junk!

Hansel

Posts: 78 | Location: Surprise, AZ, USA | Registered: 18 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
My two choices are the Gentry and the LaPour units

Comparing the Gentry to the Lapour is like saying a Chevy and BMW are the same because they are both cars.

Lapour hands down.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used Gentry's on M700s and like them. People here tend to hate them, but they have required no more fitting than any other in my experience. The Wisner I last put in took more time to get right than most Gentry's I have used. Nothing was wrong with that Wisner unit, they just all require fitting. I have found the fit and finish of both to be about equal.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Marc:

I have looked at both the LaPour and The Gentry units for my CZ550.

I like the flowing lines of the Gentry with it's Model 98ish Gas Flange. Thank you for the report, I have always found you to be a straight up, call it as it is type of guy.

I am just partial to the graceful lines of the flange of the old 98 Shroud...Thank you for your in-put.

Hansel

Posts: 78 | Location: Surprise, AZ, USA | Registered: 18 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I like the flowing lines of the Gentry with it's Model 98ish Gas Flange.

I agree with you on the lines. My view of the Gentry is based on experience of one. The Wisner was a no problem install in comparison. I'm sure Marc has had far more experience than I have.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K