THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Browning Model 92 jammed and locked up what to do?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Browning Model 92 jammed and locked up what to do?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just came back from the range today.I was shooting my Browning Model 92 that just like Winchester Model 92 in 357 mag.I was shooting 28 specials and everything was fine untill I shot load that kicked alot harder than normal.It usually kicks like a 22.I could not open the rifle.How do I go about getting this gun unjammed.Do I take it apart starting at lever or what?

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Man you are making me think on this one!

Now the 92 has the 2 locking bolts on each side of the breech bolt right? I cant remember if they are visible at the top or not, I think they are correct? If you can see them I would try using a small brass punch and tap them down. If you don't have a brass punch get a brass bolt from the plumbing department, or try using the edge of a penny. Of course this only works if you can see the locking bolts, someone straighten me out here if they are covered by the breech bolt, I don't think they are but can't remember for sure.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep you can see locking tops of them both.It must have been an over load is all I can figure and the case split or something.I will try brass punch.I was going to shoot it to see how new reloads worked.It must have double charged the case or something.I will send my powder measure back to dillion.It sticks the kinda pops fast then can double charge.Its only done it two other times in a zillion reloads.The 38 special case must be to pieces.It kicked like a 30-30 .I knew something was wrong.We also shot picky 22 autos.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I got it open the way you said yea.I used 375 winchester case to start it then allen wrench to get it open.The case was split at the head.It had to have been double carged load.Thanks for the good advice.

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Hey I'm just glad that you weren't hurt in the process! Does the rest of the gun look ok?

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote