New
Find
Notify
Tools

Timnet trigger for Ruger Mark II
 Login/Join

posted
Of course, I meant Timney trigger
Can anyone tell me if the above is easy to install?

I'm working on the gun of a friend of mine, and the trigger is atrocious! Pull weight is over 6lbs., lots of over-travel, etc and non-adjustable. I'm finding it impossible to shoot tight groups, although it seems the gun might be capable of it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

[This message has been edited by GeorgeS (edited 01-07-2002).]

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very easy and well worth the effort. I put one on my M77-.416 and it works just great. With the Ruger spring I got a 3# pull. You can go lighter if you use their spring.
C.G.B.

Posts: 238 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 05 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with CGB. We put one in each,(3) of our .416 Rigbys. The installation is straight forward. We are using the stock spring and have all guns set at 3.5 lbs. I believe that you all will like it and be as pleased as we have been.
All the best,
SAM

Posts: 702 | Location: Lenoir. N.C. | Registered: 18 September 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks, fellows. My friend is not really a "gun guy"; he's owned the rifle for ten years now, and shot game all over North America and Africa with it, so he may or may not bother to upgrade the trigger.

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
George,

One of my high horse tirades is the bashing of the MK II M77 trigger. I think it is an oustanding trigger desing, just poorly finished by the factory.

It is fully adjustable by a competent gunsmith, yes a mechanic posing as a gunsmith will say, ain't got no screws to fiddle with, I can't adjust it. A good job with some stones, a lighter trigger return spring, and adding an overtravel screw to the trigger housing will result in the "breaking glass rod" trigger, I know, I did it myself, and I'm not a trained gunsmith.

I've also heard if one sends there M77 Mk II to ruger, they will tune the trigger to 3 - 3 1/2#'s for free.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul H:

A good job with some stones, a lighter trigger return spring, and adding an overtravel screw to the trigger housing

I broke the tap in the first one I tried to do (a stainless model), so I gave up on the overtravel screw.

I just build up the trigger with some copper wire and 96% tin 4% silver hobby solder. File and fit without springs to set overtravel, and it is just as quick as the drill and tap, if not quite as precise.

However, I had to grind clearance in trigger for the sear to drop down. Not hard to do, just hard to believe it was needed.

I haven't changed the sear engagement, so some creep is still evident.

JerryO

Posts: 231 | Location: MN. USA | Registered: 09 June 2000Reply With Quote