Find
Notify
Tools

Polishing abused S&W
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of K20350
posted
I know where I can pick up an older Pinned and recessed .38 Special. Its kind of like a skinny lost puppy that I cant let suffer. I believe it either lived in a glove box or under the seat of a truck for a loooooong time. It functions perfectly but just needs TLC. I was wondering what the best way to half-way bring the stainless finish back. I have heard flitz or mothers polish. But I am wondering if I should scotch brite it first to uniform the finish. I am kind of thinking about buying it to be my first tinker/project.

Posts: 445 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You need scotch brite to give it a proper brushed finish. Abrasive paper would work also with about a 400 grit.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bead blast it to as new..It works very well indeed...and doesn't cost much....

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try to get a piece of 17-4 stainless to practice on. Like mete said use about 400 grit wet or dry paper (silicon carbide) backed up with a block to keep flat surfaces flat and use it wet with something about like WD-40.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Another great product for stainless guns, as well a lot of other metals, is "NEVR-DULL". You can pick up a can of this chemically impregnated cotton wadding at most automotive parts stores.

For real bad staining or rust, you might want to try a "Lead Remover" cloth as sold by Hoppe's.

"A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Posts: 13 | Location: Western Massachusetts | Registered: 31 March 2008Reply With Quote