Find
Notify
Tools

Bead Blast Media for Stainless
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello Guys

I want to have a 416 Stainless barrel dulled down by "bead blasting", and am wondering which media will give me the "most dull finish".

Somewhere I'm sure I have read that aluminium oxide results in the darkest grey possible, but subsequent searches only say that this media should not be used at all.

This is for a serious hunting rifle (oh why oh why did I agree to a stainless barrel when I really only like rust blueing ??) so your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks - Foster

PS In my part of NZ we don't have the range of other finishing options avaliable to you guys in the USA or Europe.

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whatever you use make sure it's fresh.If you have stuff used on carbon steel, bits of carbon steel will go on the surface and rust which will continue into the stainless steel.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I used glass bead at about 70 PSI. The finish was dull but just before sunset it is still white enough that it looks like you're holding a Jedi light saber.

Posts: 187 | Location: eastern USA | Registered: 06 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use 60 grit glass beads pushed with 105# air

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) for a very flat dull gray yet smooth finish.
Like the man said above do not use any media that has hit a piece of carbon steel including the inside of the cabinet. To prevent rusting due to bits of carbon steel embedded in the stainless stainless steel it can be passivated using a 20% nitric acid solution.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
After rebarrelling my shot-out .22-250 Ruger MK II 77 VT in .308, I had SS bbl. and receiver sandblasted, using a ready/made mix of fine sand and alu oxide. Results are very pleasing.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi,
If you blast your stainless, you will be sorry! It will show any finger print, any flaw, blemish, scrape, rub mark. I used to refinish guns for a living, and leaving one in the white was a big mistake. You could seal the blasted parts with some stuff called Sharkhide. It will help protect the finish and color of the metal, and it is crystal clear. I use it on my Aluminum Boat, and it keeps it looking new. I would generally only blast parts that were going to be Parkerized or Tefloned, smaller parts would also look great when blasted and nickel plated. I would only use aluminum oxide as a blasting media. It would work a lot longer than sand or glass beads. This is only my opinion, to each his own!! Big Grin
Wayne

Posts: 17 | Location: Battle Ground, Washington | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote