New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Timney trigger for my Ruger 77
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just finished installing a Timney trigger in my Ruger 77 270. Wow! what a nice trigger. It was easy to get the trigger in and setup, just follow the instructions and make sure engagement is adjusted first.
The trigger comes as a trigger and sear replacement. The trigger is adjustable for overtravel, and weight, and the sear is adjustable for engagement.
The only hard part is adjusting the safety to work properly. This is really tricky. You must dress down the pad on the new trigger where the safety blocks the trigger. There is a lot of metal to be removed here (at least on my gun) so be careful. If you remove too much, the safety won't block the trigger and the rifle can go off. I removed most of the metal with a file, and did the final fitting with a fine Arkansas stone. You need to go slow and try the trigger in the gun frequently. This is the hardest trigger fitting I've done and it takes a very light touch and attention to detail, but I really think most gun tinkerer's can do it.
So if you're wanting to put a super trigger in that Ruger 77, by all means buy the Timney. Mine turned out to break as smooth as glass at 1-3/4 lb with absolutely no creep or backlash.
Good luck.

one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
Bobby,

I replaced my trigger on my Ruger 35 Whelen with a Timney. It is incredible! Several on this board know how to clean up a factory Ruger trigger, but I felt it was easier for me just to intall the Timney. I couldn't be happier.

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
About a year ago, I wrote about doing a Timney 77 MkII trigger myself, and had ten people tell me it was a gunsmith only operation. Like you, I thought it was pretty simple, just drop it in, the file the safety area until it will just clear. It didn't take a lot more time than taking the stock off and adjusting the one on a Remington. Anyone with some basic mechanical ability should be able to do it, and it makes the Ruger 77 into a real rifle. I'd be willing to bet almost all of the Rugers people say won't shoot could be fixed with a trigger. The more I shoot, all my rifles have good triggers, and I shoot a poor trigger worse than when I was 15 and used to them. I've also fixed the Ruger triggers by changing the angle on the sear. You also can leave the Ruger trigger and just put in the Timney sear, it won't be adjustable, but usually will be 2 1/2 to 3 lbs, so it doesn't need adjusting. This is the quickest and easiest method.

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry but I will have to say that, by some of your own discriptions of the installation and by references to the removal of metal, filing, stoning, etc does not make trigger replacement an easy job. I've done this job a number of times myself and to make the rifle truely safe I found that it is not a task for the inexperienced.In my view the second most important safety issue, right after the shooter, is the safety/trigger and its safe and proper functioning. If you have the tools and have used same successfully before that's one thing. But to make a blanket statement that there's nothing to it is misleading. Think before doing anything with the trigger and fully understand the mechanical issues.

[ 06-26-2003, 16:48: Message edited by: Pathfinder ]

Posts: 740 | Location: CT/AZ USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote