Find
Notify
Tools

Cold weather gun storage?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted
I am considering moving my gun safe to my detached garage. I live in Colorado and garage temps can vary from below zero to over 100 (obviously winter and summer) seasonal. Sometimes a daily temp variance could be 50 degrees. Humidity here is not a factor, very dry and no "sweating" (condensation).
Any trouble with guns, scopes in these conditions that I'm not thinking of?

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
No opinions on this?
Did I put this thread in the wrong category?

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I put mine in the garage with a golden rod. I asked about it last fall and was told not a problem. Only have the one winter but I had no issues in my safe.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Your safe is insulated so the internal temp swings should be much less than outside. With a Goldenrod you should be fine. Also from a fire protection standpoint, the garage is the best place for your safe since the garage structure does not represent a lot of fuel for a fire, the contents of your safe should be safer (sorry for the bad pun).

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i don't think i want to store my guns in a detached garage. #1 security - or don't you have thefts in your area. around here they break into houses while the owners are asleep & the owners don't know it. In a detached garage??

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
It will probably be okay if you have mostly composite stocks on your rifles. Wood stocks can be seriously affected by either gaining moisture (humidity) or losing it. I wouldn't want to risk moving my wood-stocked rifles out of the relatively moist air of a house to the super dry cold air in an area with close to zero (or below) temps for long term storage.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
relatively moist air of a house

I live just up the road from snellstrom there is NO moist air in my house. rotflmo

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
FWIW my safe is in the garage. The relative humidity in this part of California typically varies between 60-80% which is far more than is typical in Colo. I have zero problems with my firearms in the safe with a Goldenrod. My temp swings aren't as much as you see (typically 40-100F). A good dog helps a lot with security Wink

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys for the help.
To clear things up it is dry dry here no time of the year is humid, 6800 ft in elevation high plains, humidity is in the teens. Security is not a big concern I have taken many steps to be secure as I have a locked gate at the end of the driveway, dogs, locks on all buildings, an alarm sign at the end of the driveway, alarm and live in the middle of 10 acres, and we have a busy body neighborhood watch system. This is a "make my day law " state and everyone knows that rednecks that live in the country have guns and will shoot intruders.
My biggest concern is high and low temps for storage. Most of these weapons are wood stock, a few synthetics, most scoped. I sometimes hunt in brutal conditions so I know my weapons can take the cold but wonder if long term cold or heat are a concern without humidity and moisture being factored in.
Thanks again.