New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gunsmith recommendations in NC & SC
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
If you have been following some of my other posts, I'm planning to have a rifle re-barreled. I have contacted some barrel makers that offer barrel installation services. Now I plan to take with some local 'smiths to see which direction I feel most comfortable with. I plan to talk with David Tooley; he is local and John Lewis, not far from my in-laws that live in Aiken. Do you guys know of any other gunsmiths that has done re-barreling or built a rifle for yourself that you would recommend here in the Carolinas? Thanks.

C-ROY

Posts: 259 | Location: Carolina | Registered: 11 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C-ROY:
Do you guys know of any other gunsmiths that has done re-barreling or built a rifle for yourself that you would recommend here in the Carolinas? Thanks.

C-ROY

What kind of rifle? The smiths I know don't work on bolt actions - at least not to the best of my knowledge.

I don't know of Jarret (Jackson, SC) does rebarreling, but he has a rather large reputation for bolt action beanfield rifles. Very nice, and large shop that I saw there, but he does not do anything with the sorts of rifles that interest me, so my recommendation is only peripheral and second hand at best.

Brent

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
In the Carolinas, I'd give my custom rifle business to John Lewis ahead of anyone else.

AD

One of Us
Picture of muffin
posted Hide Post
Can't tell you about the Carolinas. But Dale Storey, in Casper WY, DGS Inc. Rebarreled a No 1 for me, with a Lilja 28 inch bbl, 7 x 57 AI. When I formed the new cases they came out of the chamber slightly out of round at the base, .002-.003". They would only go back in the chamber the same way they came out unless full length sized. I called him, told him, and he said it happens sometimes witht the 'improved' chambers, send it back and I'll do it over. And he did just that, ate the whole job , bbl and all. Service like that, I would ask him to do another for me. IMHO

one of us
posted Hide Post
C-Roy,

Can't beat John Lewis at Carolina Precision. He was the head riflesmith at Jarrett before he left to start on his own. Great guy to talk to and just does great work. You can reach him at cprifles@aol.com.

Good Luck

True Eyes

<JOHAN>
posted
C-ROY

Easy pick, Contact David Tooley. One of the best there is. David is one heck of nice person too and is very honest

/ JOHAN

<1GEEJAY>
posted
Hey'
I would use John Lewis,in fact he is doing something for me now.He is I believe,a past employee Of Kenny Jarret.
1geejay
www.shooting-hunting.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen first-hand the work of Jarrett or Lewis, but I have seen the work of John Geigas on John's Island near Charleston and it was superb. I understand that you can expect a wait, though. He has a lot of work ahead of you, or so I'm informed.
'puck

Posts: 235 | Location: Ladson, SC, USA | Registered: 02 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ward Buffkin at Darlington Gun Works in Darlington, SC does very nice work. Best bolt forger for Mausers I've ever seen too.

(843)393-3931

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote