New
Find
Notify
Tools

BOB MILEK
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have been reading some old articles ( C. 1973) by Bob Milek concerning the development of the .30 Herret. I always enjoyed his work and his passing was a bitter blow to the gun writing trade. An article in, I believe Petersen's Hunting, in mid 1980s introduced me to the merits .257 Roberts and I will be forever indebted to him for that.

I was wondering if any of the "old timers" around here knew Mr. Milek or had the opportunity to hunt with his guide service.
Good Shooting,
HBB

[ 01-10-2003, 06:51: Message edited by: hillbillybear ]

Posts: 376 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted Hide Post
Bob was the guy who got me started on contenders. I bought a magazine/book on handgun hunting about 20+ years ago. It talked about Bob and Steve Herrett developing the 30 and 357 Herrett, and some of the hunting experiences that they had. I lost that magazine, and I would pay a pretty penny to get another one. But I didn't lose my respect for Bob or Steve. We lost some giants when they passed away.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to say, Bob Milek passed away a number of years ago way before his time. He was one of those writers who wrote from his personal knowledge and you could take his observations to the bank. He was a real loss to shooters and to the gun writing fraternity. Ku-dude

one of us
Picture of yotecaller
posted Hide Post
Bob was my favorite writer of all time.I love to go back and read his old articals.

Posts: 345 | Location: NH | Registered: 24 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I used to dig the way he used his hat for a rest. I hate scratches in the wood too.

-M

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Elkslayer
posted Hide Post
I met and spoke with him several times. He was just a normal guy who knew more about firearms, loads, and shooting than most.

He is missed.

Posts: 452 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 15 November 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
hillbillybear---

I shot rockchucks with him several times. He was funny to be around.....and sometimes a TERRIBLE shot. He was *really* funny then.

I liked him as a man but could never stand his writing. I read enough to start arguments and later just didn't read it. He had some really screwy ideas that *he* had read and believed and passed on to his readers that were totally and provably wrong.

Steve Herrett had just passed on when I moved here, but I've shot with many of his friends.

one of us
posted Hide Post
He was my favorite gun writer back then and I truely enjoyed all he wrote. His would be the first aticals I'd read. After he passed away I couldn't bring myself to read any of his re-published artricals, fine as they are. It may seem silly, but whenever I see his name in print, I bow my head and sigh. ~~~Suluuq

Posts: 854 | Location: Kotzebue, Ak. | Registered: 25 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Just imagine if these magazines were smart enough to compile articles electronically and could supply them to us on CD or diskette for a reasonable fee.
What a concept! [Eek!]

LouisB

Posts: 4258 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Elkslayer
posted Hide Post
FYI - I was just last night cleaning out some stored boxes in my reloading area and came across a pretty good stack of Guns & Ammo and Shooting Times magazines from the late 70's to the mid 80's. Many which had Bob Milek, Skeeter Skelton, and P.O. Ackley articles in them.

At the present time they are scheduled to go to the recycling bin in about a month.

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Elkslayer!!!!!

Recycling Bin . . . . WHOA wait a minute . . . give folks here a chance to preserve all of those things that may interest them.
I'm sure many of us would be glad to give some bucks (shipping) for articles written back in the time when writers wrote rather than advertised.

LouisB

Just my opinion you understand! !

Posts: 4258 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted Hide Post
I would be interested in these magazines, and would be willing to pay shipping. I might even scan some of these and email them if I won't violate to many copyright rules.

one of us
Picture of Elkslayer
posted Hide Post
OK guys, I'll post a list with the month and year.

Edited to add -

I'll list these in the Classifieds.

What do you think of requesting anyone interested in them send me a envelope with their name, mailing addr, and $1 plus whatever it takes for postage for each magazine they want? I'll mail as many as the buyer wants to pay for.

Fair enough?

[ 01-13-2003, 04:37: Message edited by: Elkslayer ]