New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ti ALN coating?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is Ti Aln coating something to consider on a rifle? Its used on drillbits to harden the steel(?).. would it help to weatherproof a rifle?

Any negative effects?

Posts: 615 | Location: a cold place | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
EDITS HAVE BEEN MADE Sorry about the disinformation, I have the correct info now.

I havn't seen TiAlN used but I have seen TiCN (Titanium CarboNitride) Tungsten DLC (Diamond-Like Carbon) used. The results are stunning!
Over a bead blasted gun, the finish is matte black and indestructable, infact I used to sharpen my knife on the sample, then wipe the filings off the finish with a shop rag. Never marked the finish; must have showed people that over a dozon times in the same spot.
On a polished gun, it looked like Obsidian glass, just georgous.
This coating was done over stainless guns, to get a true black apperance.

The company that did the coating was Ion Bond (Bodycote) in Greensboro NC. My source says it cost $1000+ per furnace batch. Its a low temp. vaccum deposition coating. 302F deposit temp, 662F working temp.

Bodycote

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Can you recommend a service to coat a rifle with Tungsten DLC (Diamond-Like Carbon) ?

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
Rusty - who did the application on the firearm?

Thanks - Bryan

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
edits made to original post

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Do you mean: Casidiam?

What did you get coated with htis? This has been looked into here before, but I thought it required a batch or group effort to get.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
After my last mistake I don't want to just say, "Yeah Casidiam, that's the stuff", but is sure looks like it. I know it wasnot by Ion Bond / Bodycote, if these two companies apply the same finishes then Casidiam could be the coating.

There were 4 or 5 guns coated.
A .44 single action hunting revolver, (this is the one I sharpened my knife on to show how tough the coating is). (matte finish)
A .357 DA revolver (high gloss) and maybe one in matte or a different coating all together.
A .45 single action (high gloss)
A .338 win mag (matte)

Yes it is a batch process. In order to be feasable there probably would need to be a group effort. But all PVD (Physical Vapour Deposition) coatings are batch type.
One of the things that is coming back to me is that the bolt on the rifle was done, but the inside of the rear bridge was masked (by its own geometry) and the matte bolt accted like a honing stone on the uncoated surface. Eventually the bolt would wear quite a bit of material off. There would need to be a method developed that would coat all contact surfaces to prevent this.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
So who does apply this coating to firearms?

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
Sorry Rusty,
fat fingers, slow brain in the AM. Ion Bond (Bodycote) does the Tungston DLC.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
TiALN (Titanium Aluminum Nitride) and CVD (diamond coating) are mostly used to coat machine taps and end mills for thermal protection in high speed cutting operations and for built in lubricity that helps in dry cutting operations.

Their strength and wear resistance is derived from their ability to resist and/or be less affected by heat.

Something to consider if you are coating the outside surfaces of a firearm since the heat from firing comes from within.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ummm Rick, CVD stands for Chemical Vapor Deposition, as opposed to PVD which is Physical Vapor Deposition. Both are batch processes, but CVD takes place in a low vacuum (near atmosphere) at high temp (near 1800 F) while PVD takes place in a high vacuum low relitivly temp.
But, what would I know about it, as we do mainly stamping and forming tools at my facility.
Bob A.
Maintenance Supervisor
Troy Coating Center
IonBond LLC

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tailgunner:
Ummm Rick, CVD stands for Chemical Vapor Deposition, as opposed to PVD which is Physical Vapor Deposition. Both are batch processes, but CVD takes place in a low vacuum (near atmosphere) at high temp (near 1800 F) while PVD takes place in a high vacuum low relitivly temp.
But, what would I know about it, as we do mainly stamping and forming tools at my facility.
Bob A.
Maintenance Supervisor
Troy Coating Center
IonBond LLC

I just read directly from my machine supply catalog describing those coatings on taps and end mills, and what they were designed to do.

From the catalog:

“ CVD Diamond coatings offer the ultimate lubricity, wear protection and thermal transfer properties. Diamond coated end mills last longer and machine graphite more easily than uncoated carbide end mills.....â€

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Something to consider if you are coating the outside surfaces of a firearm since the heat from firing comes from within.

Rick, the idea is external wear restance so the gun metal looks good longer and is protected from the environment and handeling, not from the heat of firing. I have that dreaded skin condition that can rust stainless, especially in July and August; any surface treatment that can prevent my finger prints from getting
burned into a steel surface is a good thing.

If that was way too condensending I appologize, but your comment left me with a "WTF" look on my face.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty Marlin:
quote:

Rick, the idea is external wear restance so the gun metal looks good longer and is protected from the environment and handeling, not from the heat of firing. I have that dreaded skin condition that can rust stainless, especially in July and August; any surface treatment that can prevent my finger prints from getting
burned into a steel surface is a good thing.

If that was way too condensending I appologize, but your comment left me with a "WTF" look on my face.

I understood that, and that’s why I said it was something you might want to consider before deciding on this for an external finish.

There are plenty of good external finishes that are a whole lot better and cheaper than this stuff would be. Rogard, NP3, Duracoat, just to name a few.

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rogard, NP3, Duracoat, just to name a few.

I love the look of Casidiam, but these others are a lot easier to get on your gun. There are a lot of guys out there doing it. ijust cannot decide what to do?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 333_OKH:
quote:
Rogard, NP3, Duracoat, just to name a few.

I love the look of Casidiam, but these others are a lot easier to get on your gun. There are a lot of guys out there doing it. ijust cannot decide what to do?

Do you sometimes have trouble making up your mind? Well...yes...and no! Smiler

Next you’re gonna tell us your favorite color is plaid! Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I wish I had made up my mind ofr a finish on my hunting rifle, but I haven't....stillllllll looking. bearcoat, diamond-like carbon, Cerakote, Teflon Ind, NP3 for the bolt and Rogaurd, blah blah blah..........

It is a long time before all the parts come together and I have to worry about this aspect.