Find
Notify
Tools

Kimber 8400 300 H&H Conversion
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Brad aka Pill Shooter
posted
I just thought I post this topic to see if anyone's gone down this road yet. I have been looking at getting a nice 300 H&H. I think the pre 64 winchesters are a little too rough in their factory configurations for my tastes and expensive for the really nice ones. I really like Kimbers rifles and I have already called the custom shop to see if they could put a 300 H&H together but they said no to any rifle projects (pistols only)! I was wondering how difficult it would be to convert a Magnum 8400 to 300 H&H? I believe they use this action on their 375 H&H's. My thoughts would be I could put together a nice 300 H&H with above average wood, CRF, nice trigger and a new barrel for under 2K? This would get my foot in the door while I save up for a true custom build someday and would cost me about the same as a win 70 300 H&H in above average condition. Any thoughts on whether this is possible or is the action just too short?

Thanks Brad Smiler

Posts: 619 | Location: Sherwood, Oregon USA | Registered: 07 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Yes the 8400 is the action they use for the Caprivi. In the Caprivi configuration it would be long enough. I have no clue if the normal 8400 would be long enough. If not it might be as simple as swapping out a couple parts like taking a m70 from long to magnum length.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote