Find
Notify
Tools

The worst rifle of your life
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Win 70 Classic Sporter BOSS in .338 Win Mag. I spent over 250 shots trying to find its pet load but the best it will do is 1.5 MOA for 3 shots. As a last resort I'm having it rebarrelled with a Lothar Walther (SANS BOSS) and if it then doesn't meet my requirement of 5 in <MOA; it will have to go...

------------------
Andr�

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two contenders for the worst rifle crown. #1 a late 80s vintage Weatherby Vanguard in .223. The test target was a 1-hole group. However, this was either a fluke or something bordering on dishonesty because the best this gun was about 3.5in. I never found any solutions for its problems. After about six months of trying I gave up and sold the D&&^%$m thing.

#2 is a Ruger 77 MK II in 7-Mag. About 2-2.5 inches is the best it would do. The laminated stock looked like it was made with a hacksaw and I won't even go into the lousy trigger. Why did Ruger ever change the design of the original M- 77? In my neck of the woods, a pre MKII will bring "blood" if you can get the owner to part with it at all.
Good Shooting
HBB

Posts: 376 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guess I am the only one to have a hate hate relationship with the Marlin lever action in 45/70. Thought it would make a great deer rifle in heavy cover. Worked for a whole year trying to find a load that would stay inside a #5 washtub at 50 yards. No luck. Sold the bastard and got a Ruger #1. Haven't missed that demonized POS one bit.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My worst ever is a SMLE which a previous owner sporterized. For reasons I have not be able to determine, it shoots about 18 inches to the right of nominal center. Either the barrel is bent or the bore is not parallel with the axis of the barrel. To make things worse, the chamber is not at right angles to the bolt face, and after one firing the cases are "warped". Ku-dude

one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually three worst.

#1: Model 70 300 Winchester the I bought a year or two after Winchester stopped making the pre 64. That would be about 65 or 66. That was the only bolt rifle I have ever had that broke down so bad it wouldn't work at all. Three trips to the service center to fix and three times broke. Each time something different. In three years I actually hunted with it once. Lucky I had a backup.

#2 and #3: Winchester Featherweights. Neither one of the grouped. Nothing I tried worked. I swore off light barrels after the first try, but a few years later I got hooked again.

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
<djpepper>
posted
#1. Rusty old cap-gun as a kid. Woke up many a night in a cold sweat after losing a gunfight because the trigger was seized up.
#2. In a moment of sheer stupidity, I traded a sweet .243 Ruger Ultralight for an early Browning A-Bolt. Damned if that cap-gun hadn't been reincarnated as a Browning!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Knight MK85 stainless
It was only accurate to an inch at 50 yds.And then only with $2 apiece bullet sabot combo.Traded it even for a 95 win in 303 Brit. I was so glad to be rid of it I didn't even haggle.The best part of the deal was the guy that got the Knight is a SOB that I absolutely detest.

Rich

Posts: 227 | Location: West Central Sask | Registered: 16 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am fortunate to never having owned a rifle I hated. However, my father has had terrible luck with Lone Eagles. Both of his suffer from the firing pin not being hit hard enough to ignite the primer and the fired shells will not eject without a fight. He has to keep a cleaning rod handy for ejecting stuck shells. He sent his 30-06 back to Lone Eagle which supposedly fixed the problem. Unfortunately, the problem is still the same. At least they shoot decently.

Posts: 57 | Location: Mesa, AZ. | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine is a old .22 Cooey : The chamber is off center, the breech is leaky, machining marks throughout the bore, and I did a sloppy bedding job. The gun is pretty accurate before my bedding job...

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I live in a country which allows it's citizens to own only three guns, one rifle, one shotgun and one .32 cal or smaller handgun. Possibly the worst guns made anywhere in the world ever must be the Indian Ordnance Factory's guns, rifles in .22lr and .315 (.303 enfield with 8mm bullets, proprietary Indian crap). If anyone ever hit anything with them, it would make history! Our very anti-gun governments seem to have designed all of the worst features anyone could ever think of into these examples of what guns shouldn't ever be.

------------------
Mehul Kamdar

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
An old 22 WM, with what turned out to be a leaky bolt, that I inherited from a relative. Lots of small powder burns in the face, thankfully I wore glasses! I scrapped it right away!

Posts: 544 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 27 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would have to agree with the Carcano being the worst rifle ever! I've had many military rifle, Arisakas, Nagants, Mausers, etc. but the Carcanos are the worst.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marlin 882sv .22 mag. It is a pathetic excuse for a rifle, it feels toy like the bolt looks like a year 7 metal work project and it shot like complete trash with pretty well every brand of .22 mag ammo. Using thetrigger was like some kind of evnet in a strong man contest.

PC.

------------------

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<jjdero>
posted
Never had a hate rifle, shotgun or handgun, but I did have a few wives that fell in that catagory. jjdero

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll second PC's opinion of the Marlin 882 22mag. I even had a trigger job done and it still shoots about 4-5 inch groups at 100yds. It is going to get traded at next weekends gunshow-for anything.

Posts: 284 | Location: Plant City, Fl,USA | Registered: 12 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Paladin>
posted
The Carcano and the Terni. Italian military rifles are some of the worst, unsafest production arms I've ever used.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the Carcano is also the ugliest rifle ever! Looks more like a gardening tool with the bayonet folded, or unfolded.

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
<ChuckD>
posted
Remington 572 BDL--a 22lr pump action. Most impressive group at 25 yds off a bench was about 1.50". Kept it for 5 years, tried virtually brand of ammo extant. Traded it for a Ruger 77/22 VBZ, which shot smaller 100 yd groups. At about the same time I acquired a 742 BDL in a trade--the holes for the scope bases were not in line with the barrel, so it always shot 2" right at 50 yds. I was afraid to use it over 100 yds, for fear I would forget to compensate.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The remington 742 in 30-06.A friend of mine had two of these ,one that jammed on a regular basis and the other that shot 5" patterns at 100 yards.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tommyn
posted Hide Post
Mine was a beautiful Win Hi Wall. 219 Imp Zipper. One day 1 inch groups the next day 3 or 4 inch groups with same loads, cases. It was so pretty but not so good to shoot.

<6.5 Guy>
posted
My brother and I inherited a Win Mod 54 in .218 Bee. The bore was in perfect condition, stock had no scratches, and it had a vintage 6x Weaver on it. Funny thing was, neither of us ever saw Grampaw shooting it, although we had seen every other gun we inherited from him.

My brother fixed up some handloads using Gramps' old Herter's dies and Win brass, and headed for his backyard range. The next week he called and told me I could have it, it was a p.o.s.

I took the rifle and loading stuff, and went to work. Best groups I could get were 4", so I tried it with a different scope. Grouped the same.

I took it to a gunsmith, who inspected the crown, bore, everything carefully. Nothing wrong he could find either.

I shot about 200 rounds through that rifle, and the best 3 shot group I ever got with it was about 3.5" at 100 yards. Now I know why Gramps never used the thing, it's a p.o.s.

We sold that gun to a collector, and told him it wouldn't group. He didn't care, he just wanted it for his collection. It was in perfect shape.

That's about the only use it was fit for.

one of us
posted Hide Post
#1 Ruger M77R (made in 1989) in 7mm RM. Horrible shooter - averaged 4" at 100 yards.

#2 Ruger M77 (made in 1980) in .270 Winchester. Point of impact contantly changed (2 scopes used). Also shot poor groups - about 3" at 100 yards.

#3 Ruger M77 Mark II in .223 Remington. I figured I'd give a newer Ruger a try. Same horrible inaccuracy and man that trigger (which isn't adjustable) just flat out stinks.

Did I mention that I hate the M77?

Posts: 498 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 13 January 2002Reply With Quote