Find
Notify
Tools

Whats inside a Kurz Bolt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello Folks

Had a couple of bolts apart to compare, though others might like to see how a Kurz compares with a Standard 98 bolt.

And now look away if you don't want to see a bubba'd Single square bridge Oberndorf Mauser Kurz Model B in 250 Savage (with a boltless Kurz round Model B also in 250).

Any thoughts as to how I should proceed on making the squarebridge into a "nice" using hunting rifle ?

I also have these bits:

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can you show more detailed pics of the top of the receiver, both rings, with the modern bases removed? IIWY I'd be exploring the possibility of using those extra bits to re-convert back somewhere closer to the original configuration. Can you show the top views of both rifles and their receiver rings? This type of project is of great interest to me!
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tentman

What are you hoping to do with that Boltless one?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I'm pretty certain I have a genuine bolt located (and if not I definetly have a 'smith to make one), if I can get a genuine bolt I think it will stay as is . . a classic from yesteryear, although I would probably add the cocking piece sight to it. If its a replacement bolt then it might get a makeover.

Joe - I'll take some pictures tonight. I'm thinking like you, as long as I don't use a scope with an objective bell why not go back to the claw mounts (I believe this is the main reason why this style of claw mounts are not popular today, you just can't tip off a bigger scope . . . . opinions??)

Cheers - Foster

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I read on another forum recently where Rigby(if i recall correctly) was going to offer Kurz actioned rifles in November 2010 and would be selling replacement bolts. Actions made on original Mauser specs.

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did contact Rigby, and they never replied. Later I spoke to another London Gunmaker (to the Principle no less) and he avowed that ALL English gunmakers were sourcing actions from Reimer Johansen, who I believe obtain them from Prectl - same old loop.

Cheers - Foster

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The existing set-up

Front is a dovetailed claw mount base with a 6mm gap between two 5 mm legs (see base in pic above):

Aft we have a single 10mmx10mm square socket:

Not one nicely placed hole, they'd all strip at an instant, not that it'd matter that much because bubba didn't align them properly anyway

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Sad.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I personally would first attempt to remove the Bubba inserts from both rings and restore the claw mounts as far as possible. The photos seem to show that the original holes and slots have survived largely intact and unaltered, so in my mind it would seem at least possible to restore the mounting system to at least a semblance of its original state.

From that point it should be possible to fabricate rings to fit the bases, I've done this several times and it's fairly straightforward work but also tedious.

Another alternative would be to consult the Recknagel catalog to find new replacement rings and their matching front base. Pricey and difficult to choose the proper size from halfway round the world, but it IS an alternative.

A good craftsman can fill in those off-center holes so they're unnoticable, not a big deal at all, and you'd then have the basis for a very attractive rifle. A little welding work on the bolt handle and you're in business!
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
The cocking piece peep is a nice thing to have too. Is the bolt modified somehow for it? Does the disc with the two holes scew to the rear of the bolt?

Posts: 3313 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
The rear of the cocking piece has a dovetail cut across it for the sight base to fit to. In my case I had a sleave made with a lower of set so the sight in its retracted position would be low enough to work under a scope in qd rings.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a similar Kurz action not a single square bridge, that has a dovetailed front receiver ring with a similar plug. It has been drilled and tapped for weaver one piece base. Other than that there is nothing else wrong. The action is too nice to scrap and the original bolt handle has a dish in it to allow for low scope mounting. I will have some custom bases made for it and it converted to single trigger and then I will get it stocked in the Rigby style in 250-3000!!!

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tentman:
Joe - I'll take some pictures tonight. I'm thinking like you, as long as I don't use a scope with an objective bell why not go back to the claw mounts (I believe this is the main reason why this style of claw mounts are not popular today, you just can't tip off a bigger scope . . . . opinions??)

Cheers - Foster

Foster, FWIW I've used scopes having alightly-enlarged objective bells with Mauser & Mannlicher-Schoenauer claw mounts on several rifles. Scopes in the sizes like 4x or the small variables up to 2x-7x will work well, or at least they've worked well for me in the past with custom bench-made rings made to fit the original claw bases. FYI FWIW.
Regards, Joe

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an unusual set of claw mounts. Unusual due to the fact that they work in reverse of traditional claw mounts. the claws are mounted to the rear and the lock is front. Large objective lense are no hindrance at all. i don't know why all are not so made!

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Where did you source that cocking piece mounted sight?

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Lawndart

The rifle came as a package with the cocking piece sight included (the sight was probably the best part of the whole deal, and one of the main reasons I went with it - I don't think the vendor reralised how hard they are to get).

Do yo know who the maker was, I've seen pictures of a couple on the net but no-one seems to know who made them or whose the design is?

Its not for sale just now, but once I get my "kurz" projects sorted out inn a month or so I may well offer it if you are interested.

Cheers - Foster

One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lawndart:
Where did you source that cocking piece mounted sight?

rusty42marlin@yahoo.com

Very good quality and a nice guy to deal with.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote