New
Find
Notify
Tools

Steam rust blue water question.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have read through a bunch of old posts and have a question regarding tap water used for steam bluing . I am on a well with high iron content in the water. The water is run through a filter but the packaging says nothing about iron filtration. Will this affect the final results. Thanks in advance.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes; you should use distilled water. Although I use tap water, it comes from the Mississippi and is perfectly clean. Except for all the Roundup in it (harmless to humans), it is very low in minerals.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the quick reply DCPD.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Distilled water is just steam in the liquid phase, so steam is steam no matter where it comes from. I think.

If boiling parts in a tank, then you want distilled water (or de-ionized) for sure.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
True, but I am always afraid that some minerals will be carried up in the steam. Maybe not. But I also use our city water when boiling rust bluing; no problem there either, but as I said, it is low in minerals.
Just do a sample piece and let us know; I am curious now. I can send you a barrel to practice on.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use distilled for boiling. Steaming works fine with the tap water I have, boiling not so well.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the collected condensate water off the central AC and use that for rust bluing.
Never had a problem with that in 40+ yrs of doing that though I've been warned of copper cooties from the condenser being in the water and other things.
I still use the tank method, it works and I'm too old to change now.

The steam tube method appears to be a great way.
With so little water needed with that method,,I'd just splurge and buy a couple gallons of de-ionized super special water and use that to avoid problems.

There's too much work in rust bluing before you get to the actual bluing to have it ruined by something as simple and easily avoided as bad water.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am asking specifically about the iron content only and steaming. All else not real relevant, getting mixed results.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
That's why I use steaming; you only need one quart of water.
If you are getting "mixed results" with your steaming setup, then use only distilled water.
Yes, all comments relating to boiling, you don't want.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all.

one of us
posted Hide Post
As DPCD said since you use so little water in the steaming process why not just use distilled if you are concerned? You are only talking a couple of dollars. Personally I believe it doesn't matter because once the steam is created contaminants are left behind in the boiling water. Here I use tap water.

Bob
www.rustblue.com

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a well and it has a lot of mineral and I use distilled all the way..my well water makes a rainbow of shit with the water and the steam..rust bluein is tricky and we have little to no humidity in my part of Idaho most of the time, I do ok on small parts are not worth the time or the pain these days, rather shop it out.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use tap water for steaming and distilled for boiling. My tap water is a mix of Mississippi and well water.

Posts: 427 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 May 2011Reply With Quote