New
Find
Notify
Tools

re-chambering a #1
 Login/Join

Picture of boomer453
posted
Hopefully this isn't too dumb a question but if i had a barreled 1A action in 30-06, what would be involved in re-chambering to 9.3x74r?

Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
You can't rechamber a 30 cal. barrel to a 9.3. It would have to be rebarreled with the right bore diameter barrel.

Posts: 78 | Location: Harrison, Maine | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
If the existing barrel has enough OD then you can have it rebored to 9.3mm then rechambered. Assuming that you have some reason for wanting to keep the orginal barrel. personally I would opt for a 9.3mm Lothar Walter contoured barrel blank as a replacement if i were going to make that conversion. Good luck with your project. It should be an interesting one.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dear Boomer,
One thing to keep in mind when rebarreling a #1 . Barrel dimensions at the breech end. This is because I have seen quite a few rebarreling jobs in the shop here where the sight rib isn`t even and the scopes were tweaked. The dimensions of the new barrel have to be as close to the original as possible to use the old sight rib. Using the old barrel for a rebore is a choice. Make sure the gunsmith tapers the barrel to the original barrel diameters at least as far out as the end of the rib. Good luck with a great new calibre.

Aloha, Mark

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Or....you could re-fit the rib to the new barrel. DUH!!!

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Several years ago rebarreled a #1 in 30/06 to 9.3x74r.
The gunsmith milled a douglas blank to a full length octagonal 26 inches long. He milled the original quarter rib to fit the barrel and also milled a NEGC front sight to match the barrel. He also fitted the forend to match the barrel. No troubles aligning the scope. Original ejector.
Last 100 yard ten-shot group I shot had seven touching each other.
One of my favorites.

Posts: 24 | Location: alaska | Registered: 13 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
C'mon Kobe, don't come up with the obvious.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote